Outboard up or down when traveling

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me how they have there outboard motor when traveling.Do you tilt it up or do you keep it down on long trips.I would think that when it's down there is less pressure on the transom.Let me know what you guys think

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Outboard up or down when traveling

Ayuh,...

I doubt you'd have the necessary Ground Clearance with it Down...

nlain

Commander

Even if you had ground clearance you should go watch people pulling into service stations, c stores, parking lots that have a dip as you enter, I have watched several skegs get the end ground off that way. So up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is the purpose of a transom saver, get the lower unit up so you do not damage it. tilted.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with TD. Tilt it up a bit so the center of gravity is a little more towards the front and less towards the transom. Don't rely on the motor's locking lever; it's not meant for long-term use and might bust on a real good bump or jolt. Get a good transom saver. Then no worries.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I prefer down, and have had a couple of boats that I could do that with, but in most cases you have to tilt the motor. This is true for all the reasons previously stated.

The boats that I trailered with motors down both involved 20" transoms, one of which was cut down to about 18", with twin engine installations that had 15" shaft lengths. Because the boats were V type hulls this setup worked fine in the water and offered an advantage in terms of draft, something that can be very useful where I live. It also allowed trailering with the engines down, without problems - I never once hit pavement with them, even on curbs, etc.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm with TD on this one too, tilted outboard using a transom-saver. Before I bought a transom saver I watched my outboard while traveling down the freeway, it was all flying over the place every time I hit a bump. :eek:

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Can you add the transom saver to most boats?

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont have a conventional transom saver, I have a trim lock, but I am pretty sure that most attach the trailer.

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Transom saver and up for me.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've towed a buttload of boats, if I have a jackplate I usually leave the motor down, if not I put it up and use the motor locks, never, ever had them not work, never seen anyone use transom savers here.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Down but one is a pontoon and the other is a SeaCat. Lot's of ground clearance on both rigs.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Just to mix things up a bit...

I travel with mine partially tilted. (150 HP Looper) I tilt them up until they come off the trim piston. then slightly back down until they just make contact with the piston. I figgure that the main cylinder and the two pistons give the most support. I dont like the engine tilt lock because the engines seem tilted too much causing a see saw motion on the transom instead of up and down motion.

No one uses transom savers here either. (SW Fla)

Sooo who's right?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

One boat has a transom saver. On the Yamaha 150 I cinch it down against a piece of 2x4 cut to fit the width of the motor bracket. Cinched down it has a good enough angle to prevent scrapes and damage to the skeg.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Key West isnt SW Florida!

You live in the Conch Republic :)

Moody Blue

Captain

No choice with my current setup. Only have 4" clearance, so UP with a transom saver.

Previous boat had the clearance but used a transom saver anyway. How can you go wrong with a device called a Transom Saver :D

Merc25XD

Seaman

UP and with a transom saver....always.........

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am thinking that if some of ya followed a boat that just put it up with the motor lock would be surprised. They really bounce around a lot. I have an I/O but use the piston lockers just In case I use a hydraulic line. I would wear off about a foot of my stern drive.