1988 Evinrude 15hp Rope Start Model BA15BACCS S/N R1787299

Work Carried out so far:-
Carb stripped cleaned and rebuilt,
New Plugs
New Engine oil
New Fuel Lines and primer Bulb
Engine Decarbed with Sea Foam
Very good compression in both cylinders

Engine is hard to start when cold but once warmed up starts on first pull.
Engine runs fine on the water for around 5-10 minutes then splutters and cuts out, then it won?t start until engine has cooled down.
The Engine is pumping water very well with a good jet.

Whats wrong with it?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Evinrude 15hp 1988 Running Problem

Take a buddy and a timing light with you and when it does this check for spark on both plug wires. Sounds like a classic case of a coil going bad. when it heats up it breaks down and you don't get spark. After it cools down it works again. What do you mean by new engine oil? You have fresh gas premixed or you changed the oil in the lower unit?

AlTn

Commander

as stated by fireman57..check spark...from 1988-1992 OMC switched to a powerpack that incorporated the trigger sensor and it's located under the flywheel...if spark is the problem you'll need to test the components per the manual, note that cdi offers a kit that relocates the powerpack back to the side of the block while the trigger sensor remains under the flywheel...marineengine.com..boats.net....shop.evinrude.com..all offer diagrams of your engine

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Fireman57

Lower unit engine oil

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

If it is the coil is it easy to replace?
Is it a expensive part?

fireman57

Captain

If it is the coil is it easy to replace?
Is it a expensive part?

2 bolts and about 20.00. It is the thing that your spark plug wire runs into. You should have 2 of them.

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice

As these guys stated above sounds like a coil crapping out when it gets hot!. It is 2 bolts, 2 wires, and takes about 5 min to replace. You should only have two coils of I remember right, might just want to do both while you are at it. If the potting is dying on one, the other prob isn't far behind. Make sure the grounds look good when you replace them. God luck brother

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys

Someone also said it may be the Thermostat, is this possible?
and does this engine have a overheat Temperature switch (could it be that?)

fireman57

Captain

If you run it to operating temp and can hold your fingers on the head for a long five count you are probably not overheating. You can perform both test on the same run.

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

A engineer has said its more likely to be the Power Pack thats bolted on the side of the engine.
He said that when the engine warms up the power pack also get hot and breaks down.

He said if it was the coils they would both have to fail for the motor to completely stop as it would still run on one cylinder although not very well!

Does this sound feasible?

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, many motors will run on one cyl, but wont have much power at all. I had one that started first try on the muffs (running on two out of 3), but like crap in the water. I would get your hands on a digital multimeter and do the tests on the CDI electronics website. Its better than buying parts you dont need. Coils aren't too expensive at all, but other parts are ie coil pack, stator, timer base. Some motors have a tan wire that goes from the temp switch to the power pack for overheat protection and eng warm up/fast idle. I am not sure if your motor has that or not though.

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

Blimey

Now someone has told me it could be the Head Gasket!
Is this likely?

AlTn

Commander

made a mistake in my post...omc went to the sensor/powerpack set up in 1989..not 1988 and the powerpack is indeed on the side of the powerhead..sorry for the missinfo

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

So far I have been told by Outboard Engineers (not on this Forum) that my problem is cuased by:-

Coils Failing when engine gets hot
Power pack Failing when engine gets hot
Cylinder Head Gasket blown

Which one is it likely to be?

AlTn

Commander

to verify loss of spark when hot is simple...take an air gap spark checker with you set to 7/16" gap...if both plug wires will provide this spark consistently, your ignition is doing it's part..if not, w/o any further testing, it's a real crapshoot....go to marineengine.com, boats.net, or shop.evinrude.com and look at the ignition diagrams for your motor as all sites will list parts no.'s and prices..I'm just guessing, but I'd guess they'll be higher in England...you could also be losing fuel...when your symptoms occur, try pumping the fuel bulb to see if this changes things as this will override the fuel pump in the event it's getting weak...lastly..pull the sparkplugs when the motor quits and examine them for any beads of water,,if they are present, it could account for these symptoms

raczekp1

Lieutenant

check compresion.
i had starting or restaring problems becouse wraped head and bad head gasket

reeflodge

Seaman Apprentice

Got my engine started again!
Its sounds very different and it seems that exhaust is now blowing out of the little hole above the waterline just underneath the cowling
where it did not before, maybe it was blocked and that was causing it to overheat and stall!
I think the Seafoam must have eventually cleared it.
What do you think?

surf_hbc

Recruit

I had a similar ignition problem with my 81', only spark would cut out on one cylinder after getting warmed up. Replaced the thermostat problem went away... so your ignition problem could be because it's overheating. My only guess is there's a temperature sensor controller in the powerpack.