clicking sound behind motor

wsm122658

Recruit
i have a 1987 Wellcraft, with a mercursier outdrive, i have noticed a clicking sound in or around the motor, but when I take the drive out of gear and run the RPM's up, the clicking goes away. so i do not think it is in the motor. any thoughts out there?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: clicking sound behind motor

Gremlins???

I have no idea on this one, I know when my motor dies in gear it will make a clicking sound... but not when it's running.

Just a thought, when was the last time you serviced the lower unit (lube)?

superbenk

Commander

Worn out clutch dog or dog return spring? Maybe your shift points need adjusting.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know you said when you run the rpms up, the sound goes away, but initially does the clicking change when you first start to increase rpms? Clicking sounds in an around the engine could be a failed lifter, a bent or slipped rod, a broken lifter, a failed exhaust shutter or even a bad water pump (bearings bouncing around). With a failed water pump you will ofter see dripping water and the clicking is more irregular, vs than a rhythmic click that you'd likely hear with a lifter. Have a helper run the engine and give a mixture of rpms while you listen for the click and try to narrow down where it is coming from.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess...............U joint or gimble bearing......