3.0 Engine dies when shifting from neutral into gear.

Samjo

Cadet
We're dealing with an 83, Mercruiser 3.0 with R/MR/Alpha One drive.

Stranded me for a while today.

For a little back ground...boat sat under cover for three years without being started. Used a little Sea Foam through the carb, with fresh gas and she fired right up. First trip to the lake went pretty smooth, except after idling through the no wake zones, it was a little hard to get it going. Would die upon acceleration.

I figured it was a gummed up carburetor, so I got a Sierra kit, soaked it in carb cleaner and reassembled.

Next trip to the lake, boat cranked fine, and ran good for the first hour.

After running for that hour or so, we took a break in a cove to eat and swim a little, and when it came time to go, every time I'd shift from neutral into gear the engine would die. It didn't matter if I shifted it slow, or shifted it fast, it would still die. It died going neutral to reverse, as well as neutral to forward.

At the beginning of the day, I didn't know what a shift interrupter switch was...after an hour of reading the forum, I do now.

While I was battling it this afternoon....I did see the shift interrupter, and noticed that if I pushed on it, the engine would die. As a "what have I got to lose" move, I took the switch off, and unhooked the wires. At that time, I didn't know that's exactly how it was supposed to be working.

Even after I took the switch loose, it would still die. I must have a durn good battery, cause I must have cranked it a hundred times. I was probably stranded for the better part of an hour and a quarter, and was pretty much trying it the whole time.

I have no idea how it finally got going. I shifted it as slowly as I could with the engine idling....and it finally didn't die. I accelerated very slowly, and made my way back to the dock at the lake house. After it sat for a couple of hours, I cranked it to go to the marina to load up, and it did fine.

I did have the problem of it not wanting to come back to neutral, but I understand now that was because I had the shift interrupter switch disconnected.

So.......after all that rambling, now finally a question.

Where do I go from here?

Are there other electrical devices that could be causing this? ( I should mention, that before I ran it for the first time after the three year layoff....I tuned it up with new points, plugs, condenser, and coil. Cap and rotor both were clean and looked good. Timing was checked as well.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 3.0 Engine dies when shifting from neutral into gear.

Timing was checked as well.

was it SET properly??

how about dwell??

what is the idle speed??

are the idle mixture screw(s) properly set??

Samjo

Cadet

was it SET properly??

how about dwell??

what is the idle speed??

are the idle mixture screw(s) properly set??

I'm not sure, I didn't know about the 1/8" setting, until I got home and researched some. Even if it was off though....shouldn't it have eliminated the switch, when I removed it?

I set the point gap with a feeler gauge.

The idle speed was around 650, while idling in forward gear, not sure what it was in neutral. I did run the idle screw in some, to raise the neutral rpms, while I was strugglin' on the lake. Didn't make any difference though, it still died.

The idle screws were set on muffs, after the carb rebuild, but I did not do the final adjustments while idling in gear on the water like I probably should have. Both screws were adjusted by ear, to the highest rpm, and smoothest idle. You could be onto something here, I started out with both screws turned out two full turns to get it running after reinstalling the carb....but had to turn them both in about a turn and a quarter for the smooth/fastest idle.

'Preciate the help.

***EDIT TO ADD***

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the first question. I thought you were asking whether the switch was set properly. Yes...the timing was set to the best of my ability. (For what that's worth :))

Deb1

Recruit

I had the same problems with my cobra 5.7. I replaced the shift modulator & it was fine after that.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Deb, your cobra doesn't compare to his R!

Green Boater

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Samjo,
Did you figure out what was causing this? I just purchased an 84' Stingray with the 3.0L (GM?) Mercruiser and am experiencing basically the same issue. It seems to be better after the engine gets warmed-up, but that takes awhile. It starts up fine, even from cold, and even (usually) pulls away at low throttle pretty well. But, most of the time, when I go to ease it forward, it "chokes-out" and usually cuts off. It is worse when you try to go into reverse, even when it has been run for 30 or more minutes. The tune-up was gonna be my first move as I just asked the guy I bought it from if it had been tuned-up and he said not for over a year, but his mechanic had pulled the plugs and cleaned them and had also cleaned the carb out. Appreciate any updates or inputs from anyone else! Thanks!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Samjo,
Did you figure out what was causing this? I just purchased an 84' Stingray with the 3.0L (GM?) Mercruiser and am experiencing basically the same issue. It seems to be better after the engine gets warmed-up, but that takes awhile. It starts up fine, even from cold, and even (usually) pulls away at low throttle pretty well. But, most of the time, when I go to ease it forward, it "chokes-out" and usually cuts off. It is worse when you try to go into reverse, even when it has been run for 30 or more minutes. The tune-up was gonna be my first move as I just asked the guy I bought it from if it had been tuned-up and he said not for over a year, but his mechanic had pulled the plugs and cleaned them and had also cleaned the carb out. Appreciate any updates or inputs from anyone else! Thanks!!!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Green Boater,...

This is Samjo's thread, not yer's...
Thread Hy-jackin' is frowned upon here,...

Start a thread of yer Own, complete with Yer info, 'n We'll be along to help ya...

Samjo

Cadet

Bondo's right, you'll get a lot more help if you start your own thread, with your own boats details.

That being said.....carb adjustment was my problem.

As I stated before, I had adjusted with it running in the yard on muffs...but not idling on the lake in gear.

After I enriched the mixture, I haven't had any more problems.

Green Boater

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo's right, you'll get a lot more help if you start your own thread, with your own boats details.

That being said.....carb adjustment was my problem.

As I stated before, I had adjusted with it running in the yard on muffs...but not idling on the lake in gear.

After I enriched the mixture, I haven't had any more problems.

Thanks, and I apologize.... as my moniker suggests, I'm brand new at boating and just had my very first boating trip on my own this past Sunday. Love it so far and I know I can learn a LOT from all the experienced boaters on here - much appreciated!!