88 Bayliner Steering Cable Stiffness

Handy Dandy

Cadet
Hello,

I just bought a used bayliner with a stiff steering system. Being my first boat I'm at a loss as to when I should start. Reading other posts online it sounds as thought I may have some rust or corosion inside the cable. It sounds as though it a cheap fix to just replace it which brings me to two questions.

First the assembly behind the steering column which converts the rotation of the steering wheel to the feeding in and out of the cable has a plackard on it that says it needs to be replaced as an assembly and never to disassemble and repair.
*Does that assembly need to be replaced with my steering cable?

Second, how do I choose the correct steering cable for my boat, which is a 19.5' bayliner Capri, open bow with a force 125?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 Bayliner Steering Cable Stiffness

the cable on your boat is most likely made by teleflex.... the cable unbolts from the helm i believe with 4 7/16s bolts and the cable and its gear come out as an assembly... once you get the cable out of the boat if you look closely on the cable there will be a number on it.. That number is the number youll most likely need to get it replaced