I think Disaster has struck can anybody help

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a volvo penta SX-M outdrive. Just took the drive off as was getting noise when turning full lock so thought it was the universal joint but all looks fine. Drained the oil and its black which I presume indicates something is wrong.I have the proper sterndrive manual so have all the instructions to take it apart but need a guide as what to look for or the order to do it e.g upper housing first. There was no water in the oil so I think the seals were all OK. Secondly in the manual lots of steps mention special tool part number x. Is it possible to do this without buying lots of special tools or is this a dealer only job?<br /><br />Any help gratefully appreciated, Im in dispair its only 4 years old and been serviced every year.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: I think Disaster has struck can anybody help

?? Power Steering ??

cmyers_uk

Yes its got power steering, but the oil being black with suspended bits I thought more like something inside wearing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure the question about power steering was to find out if it was the power steering making the noise when hard over against the lock.<br />There is nothing in the drive itself that will cause a noise when turned against the lock, except the u-joints. All drive ujoints will make a noise when all the way over and tight up against the lock, but if it's starting to get worse, it's the ujoints. They may feel ok, but I would bet there are a few grooves in the cross piece.<br />As far as the drive is concerned, working on it will take the special tools, even to take it apart without damage.<br />One thing about the GL5 gear lube, is it will turn very dark, but still clear if you put it on your fingers and look at it, this is normal. Now if it's real glossy black and not clear and smells burned, then you need to get it checked soon. A slipping cone clutch could cause the problem, especially if the shifter isn't getting the drive All the way into gear. With the engine not running, and the back cover off the drive, put the control in forward and see if you can move the linkage at the drive further to the forward position.

cmyers_uk

Don, Thank you very much for the reply. I have put it on my fingers and its clear. I have also ran a magnet through it and it hasnt picked up any bits. I have also smelled it and smelled the new oil and it smells the same there is certainly no burned smell or difference in the smell. I will check the shift in the morning. I was expecting the gearbox oil to be the same colour as the new oil, I dont know why I expected it. From what youve said I feel a little better and will look alot closer at the ujoints. For the sake of curiosity what causes the oil to turn black. P.S it is the Volvo Penta 75W90 GL5 oil.<br /><br />Thanks again I can sleep tonight

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> some of the drives had a moly coating on the shift cone. it discolors the oil.<br /> while your drive is off check your gimbal bearing for any roughness or binding.

cmyers_uk

Hi rodbolt, Thanks for the info saw black and got a instant black mood!. I can see the gimbal bearing do I just spin it with my fingers feeling for roughness or is there a special trick. Im presuming that if I pulled it, it may damage it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just reach in and turn it, if you feel any roughness, replace it, If you pull it out it will be damaged and you have to replace it.<br />What I do when the drive is off on every one I work on, is pump new grease in the gimbal bearing (turning the bearing a few times during the process) and push out all the old grease. Then wipe up all the old grease you can (From both sides of the bearing) and you basically have new grease in your old bearing for next season.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chris <br /><br />To check the u-joints, you need to give the shaft end a twist to load up the bearings while you exercise the joints. Without the load it'll feel very smooth.

cmyers_uk

Qystan, Thank you Im welding up a stand for the outdrive this morning and then going to test the u-joint by twisting it first as you suggested. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Don, Thanks for the tip on how to test the gimbal bearing.

cmyers_uk

Don, Gimbal bearing is smooth with no roughness. Followed your advice and its packed and ready for next season. U-joints will have to wait until next week as DIY called.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Chris