25HP Mercury Outboard Fuel Problems?

SP3C573R

Cadet
Hello all,
Im new to this forum and the boating world aswell. I recently purchased a 1998 14' Lowe Big Jon boat with a 1997 25HP Mercury 2 stroke outboard (S/N-06562086). I took the boat out yesterday with 2 friends to do some fishing. This is I would say my 5th or 6th time taking the boat out without any issues. We anchor up and tilt the motor up and fish. When I go to leave the area I put the motor back down in the water and attempt to start the motor. It take several tries before I am able to get the motor to start. I finally get her running but I notice that im leaking a small amount of gas out of what I think is the overflow drain for the carb. The whole way back to the ramp we had to leave it at around 15%-20% throttle and keep pumping the inline gas ball or it would just die. I tried to give it full throttle a few times and it would act like it was going to go and then it would bog down and die. Could I need a carb kit maybe? My guess is something with the Carb or fuel. You all know much more about marine outboards than I do so I figured I would see if anyone could help me out. If so any ball park $$$ anyone could give me to get this done at a shop? Im pretty good at fixing things, but marine mechanics is one area I know zero about. Thanks in advance for the input and ideas.

Spec

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 25HP Mercury Outboard Fuel Problems?

Sounds like you may have a stuck float. Rebuilding the carbs is easy and most marine repair shops charge $90-100 an hour.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Yes rebuild the carb, Like 50 bucks including pump. You can buy OEM MERC MANUAL for 80 bucks also. It will tell everything thing you need to know about that motor.

SP3C573R

Cadet

OK, I ordered the service book for the motor. Im having some problems find the Carb kit for my motor. I looked here at iboats.com for the kit and they have what looks like 2 to pick from. The Sierra Carburetor Kit or the Mallory Carburetor Kit. Which one should I go with? Should I also get a Fuel pump kit?

Motor Info

Mercury
1997 25EL
6000RPM
S/N - 06562086