Dumb question

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are sitting in the boat facing forward, portside is to the right? and starboard is to the left? correct? I forgot<br /><br />Thanks

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Dumb question

Other way around Darren. Port (red) is left, starboard (green) is right.<br /><br />Aldo

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

When I first learned I remebered by thinking that the word left has less letters than right, and port has less letters than starboard. So port is left, starboard is right.<br /><br />HTH's<br /><br />DougV>

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

port and let both end with T :) or for our cross the pond cousins:) Tea :)

Trent

Captain

Port wine is Red and thier is none Left at our house.

KaGee

Admiral

I took his ?? differently.<br /><br />Red is Port as in Port Wine.<br /><br />But, as I look Forward in my boat, the Red navigation light on my boat in on the Right side. <br /><br />As I go out the channel at the marina, the Red channel marker is on my Right.<br /><br />But, as you approach my my boat, the Red light is on the Left. Hence the definition:
the left side of a ship or aircraft to someone facing the bow or nose
So, reference to port or starboard is as you Face it.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

sitting in driver seat facing forward port is to the left, and starboard to the right

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red channel markers on right when returning from ocean. Green on right when heading out to ocean...have nothing to do with lights on the front of the boat (they are just visual reference for other boats approaching).<br /><br />Port is left when sitting in the driver's seat.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about this one...<br /><br />The best things in life, come on a stick.<br /><br />I'll be here all week....

jackstraw_11@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

"have nothing to do with lights on the front of the boat (they are just visual reference for other boats approaching)."<br /><br />Actually the color of the lights have everything to due with orientation. When approaching a boat which is on your starboard (right) side you will see his red light meaning you should yield the right of way, he will see your green light indicating he has the right away. The same goes for the other side if a boat is approaching from your port side (left when driving) he will see your red light and you will see his green light. This means you have the right away and should maintain course, he needs to slow down or alter course to avoid crossing in front of you. This goes with or without lights even in the daytime. Unfortunately too many boaters do not understand these basic rules of the road for boating.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just in case you missed the previous answers.<br /><br />
Port-starboard.jpg

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

As sad as this sounds...I remember that Starboard has more R's than Port....and Right starts with R.<br /><br />JMW

KaGee

Admiral

Hmmmm.... the meat is falling off the bone of this 'ole bird.... It must be done!!

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about left and port both have 4 letters...<br /><br />Sorry to beat a dead horse...