What is the same as this engine to an automobile engine?

WillandShay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What automobile engine is the same as the 1983 Volvo Penta AQ125A?

I know this is a 2.1L, but when looking at auto parts online stores, the distributor cap for the AQ125A is 61.49, but the same cap for a car is 6.99, huge difference for sure. And I do not think there is a difference between the two at all. I know certain parts have to be marine grade, but I do not think this is one of them.

Thank you.

Will

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the same as this engine to an automobile engine?

Yes it is.....................................................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a thought. Take your old cap to the auto parts store an compare them. Then YOU will know the difference is any.

WillandShay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a thought. Take your old cap to the auto parts store an compare them. Then YOU will know the difference is any.

OK. Will do.

One other question though. What car was this engine in, as far as the Volvo cars were concerned?

Thank you.

Will

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got me, I work on boats, not cars.

sqbtr

Most B21 marine distributors have screw down caps

Automotive are clip on

WillandShay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most B21 marine distributors have screw down caps

Automotive are clip on

If that is the only difference, then that is insane.

I will look into it.

Thank you!

Will

sqbtr

It is what it is.

The engine circ water pump is also a unique item to this engine and is big bucks to replace.

IMO VP's are the caddys in the marine world, but, you do have to pay to play

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, unfortunately it is what it is my friend, I promise you wont get anyone here advising you to use automotive parts... Its just the nature of the beast, theres been many a time where ill be scratching my head saying "why the h@ll is that so expensive" bite the bullet, do it right, as one $6 part may nuke an entire set of pistons. I whole heartedly feel your pain... :facepalm:

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The B21 engine came in Volvo 240's from around 1976 up to around the mid eighties.
The difference in the distributor caps is basicly that the marine version is spark proof.
If you'd like to save 54 dollars and 50 cents, and risk going boom boom instead, that's entirely up 2 u. Good luck with that!

1980Coronado

Your marine distributor is vented and has a flame arrestor screen in the side. The distributor cap is sealed with no venting. The purpose of the sealed cap and flame arrestor is to allow the distributor to still breathe, but if fuel vapors enter the cap and ignite they stay in the cap and distributor bowl because of the flame arrestor.

I think the contacts may be different materials as well.

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I bought a automotive cap and rotor for my 2000 Volvo 5.0 GI because I could see no difference. I went with the full intention of getting marine. Advance Auto did not help (they used to sell sierra) so I went to NAPA. He did not have the sierra in stock but we compared the automotive cap to the picture of the sierra one and could not see why the automotive would not work. Now some of the marine caps have gaskets on them, so I could see using that. But there is no way mine could seal because of the shape of it. I did buy the "premium" cap so it would have the brass contacts. Next year I will probably think ahead and order a marine cap just so I can have an intelligent comparison.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

In a car, fuel vapors just "drain out" (ventilate away) in a boat, fuel vapors risk accumulating in the bilge. It does not take much for a small spark to ignite a "perfect" air/fuel mixture - with known results.

Part from using the correct parts and keeping the system maintained, your best life insurance is to have a functional bilge blower (or rather vacuum), with a pick-up at the very bottom (fuel vapors are heavier than air) and to also use it.
I always turn mine on when filling up at the gas station, and leaving it on until at least I've been out on the lake for a while. Sometimes I keep it running all the time.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

It can get confusing about which engine parts are specifically rated for marine use and which aren't. Here's a link to the Coast Guard web site: http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/federal_regulations.aspx, where you can find out specifically what the laws and regulations say about spark protected components that relate to marine safety.

Not too many here are going to stick their necks out and try to interpret every regulation. It's much easier to just recommend buying marine rated safety components. I'll agree that it can be frustrating when you don't know the difference.

sqbtr

wow. I told you what the diference was. it's not a 5.0

lets not get into screnes and what not, its a whole different aninmal.........................end of discussion................................

WillandShay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow. I told you what the diference was. it's not a 5.0

lets not get into screnes and what not, its a whole different aninmal.........................end of discussion................................

Yes. The auto cap has clips and the marine has screw downs. Got it. Thank you!

Will