Motor bounce WOT

crush2090

Recruit
Hey all.

So I got this new to me boat and motor. Took it out first time and am having an issue.

While Idle it runs perfect, in fact the motor as far as firing and running is great.

However trying to get it into forward is almost impossible. Reverse does not work as far as I can tell. I can hear it trying to kick in to gear, and sometimes it does and will run fine at idle, can troll with it even. However it jumps out of gear then stalls. Trying to get it into gear again is a matter of shifting from neutral to forward half a dozen times then letting it sit in forward until it catches and goes.

When I try to go to high speed, the motor will go to high speed but it starts bouncing (?) Best way to describe it essentially.
the motor will run prop
then it slips out of gear prop stops turning.
motor is pushed out from back of boat by water
gear kicks back in and slams motor against the back of the boat.

When I have the motor out of the water, I can spin the prop freely in N but in drive it does not UNLESS I pull the prop out a bit (like a 1/4 inch) then it will catch and free turn as well. If I push the prop in, it will stay caught and I can hear the pistons going but will not free turn

So the motor is a

Mercury thunderbolt 700 70 HP
Far as i can tell, it was made in 78?
serial is #14736077

Any help would be great, tried searching, not much, but I think it might be the lower leg and an issue with the bearing being worn and not holding the shaft in tight?

Also I noticed that the service manual is $80.00 direct from Mercury. Was looking at Seloc, then read some more and don't need a paperweight.
Does anyone have a real service manual for this motor they do not use anymore? Or know where I can bye one cheaper.

Thanks
Dan