BONEHEAD Move - Reversed Battery Cables

rocklydockly

Seaman
Put new battery in backwards today. 1995 Rinker 5.7L Bravo III. Turned on battery switch and went up and turned on ignition. Puff of smoke from alternator, burning smell. Switched off ignition, switched off battery switch. Disconnected battery. Waited, walked away. I certainly smoked the alternator. How many other components did I likely damage? Hopeful that it stopped with alternator as it nearly caught on fire. Hopefully it burned out any forward connection to another component. Wishful thinking I know.

bmosher

Cadet
Re: BONEHEAD Move - Reversed Battery Cables

I hope all turns out good. No one will be able to say for certain what kind of damage is done without testing each component. Before you put the juice back to the system I would do lots of checking for "burnt" coating on wires and shorts; maybe prevent another problem. Good luck Rocklydockly!

Pete104

Lieutenant

Again, no serial #, NO intelligent answer!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Could have destroyed every electronic item on the motor. check for damaged wiring including under the dash. hook the battery up correctly and test. check for spark.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Some of these engines, they put a fuse at the starter to protect the charging system from damage occuring from reversing polarity. Unfortunatly, there is no fuse listed for this serial number group. The alternator doesn't do to well this wired this way. Alt. should be all you need.

rocklydockly

Seaman

Follow up. Only required the r/r of my Mando alternator. Bought locally at a dear price, but done nonetheless.