2 stroke oil

scipper77

Commander
Sorry if this turns into an oil thread.

I have a 1962 evinrude fisherman that came with a pond hopper I just bought. Can I use 2 stroke oil from my air cooled lawn equip with my outboard? I have read on here not to use outboard oil with air cooled motors.

I also have some amsoil 100:1 oil that I would mix at the 50:1 my motor calls for.

Any problems with this? I'm not looking for the best oil debate, I just don't want to use something that will adversely effect my motor.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2 stroke oil

On a 1962 Evinrude under 10 horse run it 24:1 if it is over 10 horse run it at 50:1 only use a TC-W3 oil. The TC-W3 is designed for use in a water cooled two stroke it is not designed for the higher operating temps of an air cooled two stroke. The same thing goes for the air cooled two stroke oil it is made for the higher operating temps and will not burn properly in an a water cooled engine.

There are a number of threads on Aimsoil here in the JohnnyRude section I am not wading into it other than if your engine calls for X:1 than use X:1 don't follow the instructions from the oil manufacturer.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

No to the air-cooled stuff.
Yes to the amsoil at 24:1, not 50:1. Evinrudes did not go to 50:1 until 1964

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isnt the fisherman the 5.5hp? In which case i believe 16:1 is what should be used in it(?)

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

wow nearly 50 years and still running? wow

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Well ya, its an Evinrude!

They actually built stuff back then an didn't have to worry about share holders and such, they built an engine, ran it till it broke made it better and then released it, I love my '81 rude simple as stone and built like a brick, if you take care of them they will last along long time.

scipper77

Commander

This motor is in amazing condition. The cowl is a pretty sun faded but underneath looks like new.

It came with an evinrude tank that says 50:1 on the side. I guess the tank isn't the one from the motor. I will buy some marine 2 stroke oil.

It is a 5.5 HP (I think doesnt say the hp). Someone reinforce to me the proper mix. 24:1?? 16:1??

If you guys want I'll post some pics. I have some maintenance questions anyways as this is my first outboard. (What lube in lower, how to do water pump, things like that).

hidef

Lieutenant

24:1 would be the proper mix using TC-W3 if you want to err the side of caution you could use 16:1 you won't engine burning more oil.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In 1964 OMC said: Any and all OMC made engines made before 1964 use 24:1, all 1964 and later use 50:1. Outboard oil. (That means TC-W3)

That worked for about 50 years.

Recently several authorities have recommended that those little outboards that have been running 24:1 for 50 years should run 16:1. Huh?? Maybe they think older engines need more oil.

16:1 will not harm your engine. You will need to go to Champion J6C plugs instead of the original J4C and decarb more often.

Were it mine it would continue to get SuperTech TC-W3 at 24:1.

scipper77

Commander

The Amsoil I have says something like provides tc_w3 level of performance. It's worded in a way that makes it seem like it meets tc-w3 standard but I don't think it is certified.

In any event, I only have 8oz. of that which will make around 1.5 gallons of fuel. I'll save the amsoil for the weed wacker, leaf blower and chain saw. The outboard will get marine rated 2 stroke mix.

That 6 gallon tank should last me all season. I will probably mix two gallons of gas and if I run out ill just row home. That's the beauty of a 12 foot aluminum boat.

M

mrcrabs

Well if its going to be a serious debate we need the truth!
I have a buddy that race's some (140 looper & hydrostream) and all the guys I know of who do this use amsoil or they use http://www.klotzlube.com/ I don't know what flavor but I know what it smells like and that its smokeless and these HO engines hold up well to sustained high RPM...and to stay away from anything with castor in it., as far aircooled 2 cycle oil and TCW3 if you buy your weedeater oil from sears in the little 1 gallon 40:1 mix your buying synthtic pennzoil TCW3 2 cycle oil, in the past it was know that most "air cooled oil" had more ash in it, with todays high quality oils its kind of like being sold a "digital TV antenna" they just don't exsist unless the box say's so right?
;)
I personally like good old XD25/30 for everything, my air & water cooled Eskas like it to, heck my old 1991 GMC jimmy w/200,000 likes it....and to finish I would just like to add, if it was good enough for Ole Envinrude then its good enough for me :)

Edit: of course I wouldn't use it in a E-tech :D

JB

When I was racing karts and turning air cooled engines developed from chainsaw applications at 12-14,000rpm I used special oils, too. That was because the chainsaw oils available in the 50s wouldn't mix with methanol/nitromethane fuels I mixed, and the wisdom in the pits said to use Steen "C" synthetic lubricant at 8:1. Weird stuff; poured out pale blue but turned bright red when exposed to daylight.

The truth you speak of is that most guys, especially racers, have opinions that are as deep as religion and have no proof, only faith.

And all that has nothing to do with scipper's '62 Evinrude. He needs TC-W3 at 24:1. :)

M

mrcrabs

I'm not looking for the best oil debate

I honestly thought I read "I'm looking for a best oil debate" so I was just debating, :D LOL
by all means 24:1

scipper77

Commander

So how do I know when It's time to carb?

I got a 12' aluminum boat and trailer for $150. My wives uncle gave me the outboard. Other than the fact that it seems to be very lightly used and well cared for I know little about the engine.

I guess the decarb question is outside of the scope of this thread but if I'm to start a new thread for every question I have about this motor I will be starting quite a few threads.

JB

if I'm to start a new thread for every question I have about this motor I will be starting quite a few threads.

That's cool scipper. For every question you ask, ten or fifteen other guys learn from the discussion.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im thinking one of those 60's model 5.5hp engines had to have the powerhead removed to disconnect the shift mechanism to drop the foot off to replace the impeller.