Johnson, milk in foot

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice
OK you all helped me fix myother problems,Thank you so much. I have another on my 1973 Johnson 25hp pull rope motor modle # 25r73a. Each time I bring er back home, I have to get the milk out of the foot. What seal do I need to change. Could not make it out in the diagram. is this a major job.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson, milk in foot

There are several places that water can get in, prop shaft seals, drive shaft seals, shift shaft seal, washers under the vent/drain screws, and the spaghetti seal on the skeg. The best thing to do is remove the lower unit and pressure/vacuum test it.

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice

Daviet, your talking greek to me now. How do I do that once it is off? And where can I find the seals?

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice

Cofe, thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

If you do it yourself, take pictures and post how you make out along the way. personally I'd send it out to be down by a professional.

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanke for the link Capton. It will help me a lot. Need to save money. I have just RETIRED two weeks ago. And I am IRISH

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you have to pressure test before removing the lower unit. The powerhead holds the driveshaft down.

unless you are suspicious of a plug gasket, best to plan to reseal the whole thing - the shift shaft seal is a common leaker with age and requires disassembly of the unit to change it

if you do it yourself, mark the water pump housing to the case before removing- will save some confusion later re: which holes get screws and which one doesn't :)

AlTn

Commander

the driveshaft shouldn't remain in the powerhead as it's splined on both ends..

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine always leaked, i just either drined the water the next day or changed it if it was going to sit. I had a mecanic tell me those things always leak and are hard to get to stop. That told me about all i need to know about them. It really dosent matter as i got rid of my 25HP 1971 motor.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Mine always leaked, i just either drined the water the next day or changed it if it was going to sit. I had a mecanic tell me those things always leak and are hard to get to stop. That told me about all i need to know about them. It really dosent matter as i got rid of my 25HP 1971 motor.

They don't "always leak", in fact, they should NEVER leak. You need to find a smarter mechanic.

jgriner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They don't "always leak", in fact, they should NEVER leak. You need to find a smarter mechanic.

I agree with wilde1j, i fixed mine with a new prop seal, fishing twin gets in their and eats the crap out of the seal

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the driveshaft shouldn't remain in the powerhead as it's splined on both ends..

huh?

if you put pressure to the lower unit when it removed from the motor - the pressure will blow the driveshaft out.
you have to pressure test before removing the lower unit on a 73 25HP E/J

AlTn

Commander

I'll only say this...if you put enough pressure on that lower unit to force the driveshaft out of the pinion gear, then out of the driveshaft seal while also driving the impeller drive pin through the pump seal..you've exceeded the pressure necessary to check for leaks in the seals

lifeboat

Seaman Apprentice

You guys always have some good answers and I thank you too. But what I need to know is how to do the pressure test. I have to change the oil if I only run it a few mins. in a tub of water at home.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was just a mention in passing. I was in there looking for drin plug seals for another motor. I have sold that 25hp motor a year ago, and not run the motor in 5 years or so.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'll only say this...if you put enough pressure on that lower unit to force the driveshaft out of the pinion gear, then out of the driveshaft seal while also driving the impeller drive pin through the pump seal..you've exceeded the pressure necessary to check for leaks in the seals
less than 1 psi will pop that shaft out..in fact, any amount of pressure will lift the shaft and the test will be useless.
if you have some experience with this method, or designed a jig that holds the shaft in, please share it with us, otherwise... what's your point? to be right? c'mon, I'm trying to help the guy.