electrical problem with lights, bilge and radio

jpcollin

Recruit
I have a 2000 Hurricane 201 Fundeck. I went out on the water today and everything was working. I came back and docked with no problems. Then I went back out and once I docked, I noticed that the radio, bilge, and all lights are no longer working. The battery gauge shows fully charged and is working, the motor turns over and starts and the engine lights work. Is there a master fuse that could cause all these things not to work or any ideas on what could cause all these things to go out at the same time?

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: electrical problem with lights, bilge and radio

I had some electrical done last month by my mechanic. I was having problems with the radio only working at times. After taking out the fuse panel he realized that a lot of the electrical needed to be redone as there was a lot of corrosion. He did half of the work as cost was a concern and will do the rest of the job after the summer ends but I will say that I have had no problems since. I believe this is a common problem with Hurricanes and it sounds like you may have similar problems to mine.

Decolem04

Recruit

My hurricane did same thing yesterday- did you find a master fuse that was blown? I'm going to check it out today but it was frustrating yesterday!

jpcollin

Recruit

It did turn out to be a master fuse. I ended up looking for a fuse near the battery and once I did, it was kind of corroded. I replaced it and everything worked.
My fuse was located about a foot past the battery terminal.

troyhart12

Recruit

It did turn out to be a master fuse. I ended up looking for a fuse near the battery and once I did, it was kind of corroded. I replaced it and everything worked.
My fuse was located about a foot past the battery terminal.

I had the same issue (Radio, Bilge & Lights all down) - Yes, turned out to be a master fuse right at the battery, unplug the fuse holder and pull the fuse, it will either be shot or corroded.

Thanks!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Another thing to consider (and I believe the newer Hurricanes have it) is replacing hte master fuse with a breaker with the same rating. Then if you're on the water and it goes, you can reset it. Of course if it trips again, you need to find either the short or the excess load causing the issue.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too have recently had the same symptoms occur on my boat. It was still under warranty so the dealer diagnosed the problem. The dealer found the main wiring harness connector (back near the transom) had corroded. Since it's a water proof connector, it was unclear if the corrosion occurred due to moisture intrusion or due to electrical arcing within the connector. He sent the connector in to Godfrey (Hurricane) for evaluation.