Shifting from FWD to Reverse-- Reverse to FWD very hard

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice
All I have searched others threads and can not find one that suits my set up. I have a 1988 Sea Ray 268 with 454 Mercruiser and Alpha one Drive. Please point me in the right direction. I am having problems shifting forward and reverse but not out of nuetral. I put the harness back on after rebuild of engine and it may not be done correct. I can post a picture of the assembly if needed but I am positive someone here probably knows it. BTW the engin ran beautifully though!!! Bobby

*** this occurs on water

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shifting from FWD to Reverse-- Reverse to FWD very hard

If you mean coming out of a gear to neutral ,check the shift interupter.Not working will make it very difficult to shift out of gear ,only when in the water. Does not operate on land.

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice

I am not 100% boat mechanic and I am very unaware of how the shift interupter works or what it is even. but.... if someone would talk it through just a bit I can handle it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It`s how the gears are cut so when in gear, in the water the interupter "interupts" the ign spark allowing a stall or stumble removing the prop torque allowing the gears to come apart.Happens almost instantly.
You should find it where the lower cable attaches.V8`s most times are riser mounted.2A-12 shows how to test it.Manually pushing the roller out of the V notch should stall the motor.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice

I just checked back and will be going out to the boat in a few minutes to chck all of this out. I wanted to add that I just removed the 3 cable from top of the engine. They are not attached to anything. When i move my selecter from lets say forward through reverse there is some great tension at reverse. when I push in the button to throttle only there is no resistance what so ever. does this narrow things down at all. this is all with engine completely off just moving the throttle with the cable disconnected. Bobby

Pete104

Lieutenant

Yea; That means your "primary" shift cable needs replacing! A boat that old, you may as well do all 3.

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice

okay, "after further review" it appears that while I was removing or re installing the engine I smooshed the shift cable coming from he outdrive. Is this the culprit of my problem after reading everything I have posted. I did not originally see this because the part that is smooshed is hidden pretty well but the engine is not on it now. If this cable was replaced would I be good to go "most likely"? wher do you get a cable like that on a Sunday? or is this a problemI am gonna have o dealwith after the holiday weekend? last if this is the issue and I cant replace cable immediately will Ido great harm using boat for 1 day?? Bobby

Pete104

Lieutenant

Any good marina with a decent parts dept will have the cable. I never heard of marina being closed on a sunday, especially being a holiday weekend.
If you don't get it changed right away, you have already experienced the inconvenience. Just be cautious!

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice

Pete you are the man thanks you have been a whole lot of help throughout this rebuild process. I think it is time for a promotion for you haha!! lol. After reading the installation directions for these cables I may leave it to the professionals. Is there a way to test the interupt now so that I know that it too is not defective?? Bobby I thought I read that if you are out of water to run engine and push the button o the interupt and it should kill the engine, is this accurate?

Pete104

Lieutenant

If the engine is dying when you try to shift, it's working! Try it with cable disconnected. Push down on the actuator & engine will die. The actuator is the piece that the intermediate shift cable attatches to. Kind of triangle shape piece. It moves up & down. Look close you'll see how it works.