Overheat on 2006 VP 5.0L GXi-f

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I made a total rookie mistake today and got into a hurry to get on the water. Normally I run the boat in the driveway and check everything before heading out. This time I skipped that step to my detriment. I forgot to screw the cap back on the water inlet hose on the motor, the blue one that lets you hook a hose up to run out of the water, so I assume I was running dry. Wife pulled the boat off the trailer and ran it for about 5 minutes while I parked the truck, the minute I got into the boat the high temp alarm started going off, temp was around 260 I think, immediately shut the motor off and opened the hatch. Front of pump was brown as the red paint had cooked off the brass pump assembly. Pissed me off because I had just changed the impeller as part of my summer prep. Screwed the hose cap on and let it cool for a bit then fired it up and it instantly cooled down to about 173. Ran fine for the next hour or two and then we brought it home. Took the pump off and shot it with some Volvo red paint and removed the impeller, all fins were still on but it was no longer trustworthy in my opinion. Put the spare impeller in and fired it up, ran up to 170 and everything is cool and the gang. What else should I be concerned about. Everything looks fine but now I am freaked out. Anything else I should check or worry about? Any chance I cooked a head gasket or flapper on the exhaust?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Overheat on 2006 VP 5.0L GXi-f

A couple of problem I would think will be raising their ugly heads.. The hoses that go from the risers to the Y pipe are probably crispy critters on the inside, and will likely blow out on you. The more serious problem is the riser to manifold gaskets going bad from the heat. Very common problem. The bad thing is it leaks water into the cylinders when the engine is shut off.

Undoubtedly not what you wanted to hear on July second.

superpop

No but good to know, so you think it might be wise to pop off the risers and check everything out? I think I have a spare set of riser gaskets so it is not all bad. I think this motor has the metal gaskets versus the traditional felt, are those prone to failure as well?

Don S

are those prone to failure as well?
They are supposed to be better, rather they are or not I don't know. Volvo did change the instructions to include sealer. Why, I don't know.

superpop

Oh well, supposed to rain in Seattle tomorrow anyway, I think I will pull a riser and check things out.

superpop

So I pulled one of the exhaust couplers off, the rubber sleeve between the riser and elbow, and it was not burned at all, in fact is still felt brand new. I am hesitant to pull a riser as I don't want to pull stuff apart for nothing and waste a perfectly good gasket. I looked again at the gauge and the temp was more like 220 when the alarm went off and we shut it down. If y'all still think I should pull a riser I will do that but am reluctant as it looks fine from the outside. Plus it is the 3rd of July and I was hoping to take the boat out on the 4th.

Don S

If it was my boat, I would go boating. :D :D :D

BUT!

Just keep in the back of your mind when you start the engine each time, that IF you hear something that sounds like the engine binds up on cranking or stops completely. Don't keep trying. Pull the plugs and check for water before you hurt something. Now you know what tools to take with you, Just in case.

superpop

Sounds good, thanks Don. I will have a plug wrench in my mobile tool box just in case.