Prop ?? on 87 E50tlcud

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please don't move, there was not too much advise on the Prop board.

The motor is on a 16 ft Sylvan DeepFisherman. Prop in question is a 11.75 x 17. I hit a rock today and needless to say, the prop needs to be reglated to a spare.

Michigan Wheel Vortex props need a hub,sold separately.

Has anyone tried one of these out?

Motor is a 1987 Evenrude 50 HP. Is this motor a "small gearcase-13 spline shaft"?

What is he general opinion of these props?

calboats

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Prop ?? on 87 E50tlcud

I have an '87 Evinrude 48, and the prop shop that rebuilt mine asked a few questions. Like how much does the boat weigh, waterline, max. rpm and top speed with the current prop. The motor should reach max rpm's at full throttle on your specific boat, but not any more. Most props now have a bit of "cup" to help hold water on the blade longer. I use a 12 1/4 X 14 cupped, the Vortex prop works fine for me, and are repairable pretty easy. If you go fish the higher mountain lakes altitude, drop to a lower pitch prop, that is the one I have as a spare prop.

Just a note, don't forget to check the actual prop depth in the water, too deep slows you down and lowers max rpm, too high causes cavitation, poor turning. Not all motors are at the right depth to work their best on different hull shapes

Please don't use a vibrating & damaged prop for a spare, you can ruin the lower seals, and then you have a real problem, that is costly. I carry the extra prop and hub, ready to go on in an emergency. Well, and an electric troll motor !!

Belt & Suspender safety --- Cal

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Prop ?? on 87 E50tlcud

Please don't move, there was not too much advise on the Prop board.

Well, it took exactly a month and a day to get one (pretty good one) response in the wrong forum, Dad.

Ready to move this to the Prop Forum??