Shifter works, shift shaft doesn't move

RodHat91

Cadet
Hey, Guys, I am brand new here and so-so handy. I have a 2004 50 HP ELPTO. I haven't run it in a year because the steering froze and the impeller is gone. Well, I fixed the steering but I am having a heck of time just getting going on the impeller. When I shift from N to F to R the action seems to move in the engine head but nothing happens with the shaft. Also, I cannot, for the life of me "uncouple" the shaft -- the lock nut will not move. Any advice? would really like to get this moving.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Shifter works, shift shaft doesn't move

When I shift from N to F to R the action seems to move in the engine head but nothing happens with the shaft.

What shaft?

Also, I cannot, for the life of me "uncouple" the shaft -- the lock nut will not move.

What shaft and what lock nut? If you're talking about the shift shaft, it's a spline coupling - no locknut.

RodHat91

Cadet

When I shift from N to F to R the action seems to move in the engine head but nothing happens with the shaft.

What shaft?

Also, I cannot, for the life of me "uncouple" the shaft -- the lock nut will not move.

What shaft and what lock nut? If you're talking about the shift shaft, it's a spline coupling - no locknut.

First, thanks for responding. When I shift the shifter, with the cowl off, I see that there is "movement" on that end. But, where I am to disconnect the shifter to remove the LU, nothing moves. Also, from everything I have seen on this (about the coupling) I am to use 10mm wrenches to disconnect it from the LU. I can't get it to move. How do I disconnect a spline coupling? Help, please.

carholme

Rear Admiral

RodHat;

Do you have the service manual? If not, here is a copy:

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/852572r1/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Under Section 6 40/50 Lower Unit, go to page 6A-10 and that will show you where the locknuts are to be disconnected. You have a vertical shift shaft as opposed to a rotary spline shaft.

Here is the parts breakdown for your engine:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/3373.cfm

Look under Driveshaft Housing/Exhaust Plate at items 13/14 and 14 to see the upper shift shaft and the coupler which attaches to the lower shift shaft. This is where you disconnect before dropping the LU.

Gerry

RodHat91

Cadet

Thanks, Gerry, I thought that was where the connection was and I can't get the jam nut to budge. I've used PB40 and nothing moves. If the shifter isn't in neutral could that affect loosening the coupling? :confused:

carholme

Rear Admiral

It shouln't affect loosening of the coupling but because the shaft moves vertically when you select gears, it positions it best for you to remove the jam nut.

In this link, you have to be able to hold item 13 with one wrench and undo the jam nut with the other.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/3373_210.cfm

Are you sure that you are turning the jam nut the right way to loosen it?

Gerry

RodHat91

Cadet

I got the foot off -- YIPPEEE....I'd bought the wrong impeller earlier (didn't match the one on the motor) and took it back to replace. 30 year boat mechanic-- works at the store now -- and looked at the impeller and said it was still good. He asked if there was water coming out the exhaust when I ran it (there was) but not out the "pee hole"...I said yes. He told me to put it all back together and clear the pee hole. I am going to give it a try. (If this is what is wrong I am going to be either embarrassed or mad as heck). He did say it is a rotating shifter (not supline) and the problem is just under the motor where linkage is either on a horizontal or vertical rotation.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well if he says it is a rotational shifter, go ahead and try and turn the shaft now that you have the LU removed. After all, you just removed the locknut and coupler. Do you see any splines which will allow you to rotate the lower shift rod?

Gerry