A little help finding the 12+ from the ignition

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 115hp Johnson (1984) and I am replacing the fuse panel on the boat because the old one was in pretty rough shape. I'm not looking to rewire the whole boat, but I can't seem to find the 12+ from the ignition. I am guessing that it broke and the one I'm looking at is indeed it.

Where does this run back to so that I can locate it and replace as necessary? Does it run back to the outboard or just to the control box? I have everythin else done, but no main juice! I used a seperate battery to test everything as I switched things over so all of the accessories are working, just need to get it powered by the 12+ from the ignition.

Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: A little help finding the 12+ from the ignition

You shouldn't run the fuse panel from the ignition switch anyway. It would likely draw too much juice and damage the switch. Run separate 10 or 8 gauge positive and negative wires to the battery to power the fuse panel and negative busbar. Only the gauges should be run off the ignition switch. Do the gauges work?

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A little help finding the 12+ from the ignition

Interesting....and a very good point.

I have picked up a 125a in line fuse for the positive lead to the battery. The guagues aren't currently working. I'm not getting 12+ anywhere (from the ignition, works fine obviously directly from the battery). They were all wired through the old fuse panel previously for some reason. I am basically banking on needing to replace the gauges to get them to work. I believe the fuel gauge was working recently, but that was the only one. Can I just wire the guages to the fuse panel and just run the main connection from the battery to the fuse panel through a "Master Switch" and forget about all of this?

I do get a little twitch from the trim gauge when I turn the key. I'd really like to get that one working. It's annoying trying to go out on a boat and you can't see the trim gauge.