ted williams 7.5 boat motor

brian0169

Recruit
i bought a ted williams 7.5 boat motor yesterday at yard sale hers the problem the rope wont pull acts like it is locked up and the spins freely no mater if you have it in start or shift can anyone help me out

brian0169

Recruit
Re: ted williams 7.5 boat motor

ok got the boat motor to go in gear but still no luck with the pull start

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Biran - What's your model number? Those starters are pretty bullet proof. What exactly happens when you yank the starter? If you have it in gear, can you turn the motor turn over with the prop? I need the 217.XXXXXX number, fella. I guess I'd like to know if the starter is locked or the motor. Does this animal have a gas tank on it? If your pull starter is actually bad, they can be a real pita to replace. I have collected several, having had a Gamefisher 7.5hp starter saga of my own. I'm currently running a newer blower housing with a taller flywheel cup, and it uses the newer, much more common Tecumseh starter, of which I also have several. If your starter is retained by 4 1/4" fine thread studs, you can take it off, flip it over, and pull the rope. There should be a metal tab that comes out of the side of the hub, and engages the cup on the fly wheel. If the dog doesn't come out, you may need to clean the inside of the hub. I had a pretty scatty one, and I douched that baby with WD-40 repeated ly, let it soak, blasted it with air, and douched it some more. It finally cleaned up and started working smoothly, so I pumped it up with a spray lithium grease. It's a happy little starter. Gimme the model number.

catfishe hunter

Recruit

Hi , I have a ted williams 7.5 tecumseh.
need a piston and rings & a specs sheet.
Anyone know where I might purchase some parts.
Its a fairly clean unit. The person I got it from
evidently ran it too lean.
THANKS
Catfishe Hunter

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Catfish hunter, you're hijacking this thread. Good form dictates that you start your own. I think you'll find those parts quite difficult to find. If I were you, I'd do a model search here;

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...638704&OVKEY=SearsPartsDirect&url_id=61001364

This will enable you to get part numbers, which you can then call Certified Parts Corporation with. Their website is useless for this, but if you get'em on the horn with a model or parts numbers they'll give you the skinny right quick. You may end up on ebay.