Water pump

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I have a 1985 125hp force. It runs good but didn't pump any water. I figured the impeller is bad so I took it all apart and found the impeller housing was worn so I installed a new housing, impeller, wear plate & gasket. Cleaned all the parts before re-assembly. After everything was put back together, I ran the engine but still after a couple minutes it still didn't pump water so I had to shut it down. I am using a large plastic tub filled with water. The water level is about 2" above the water inlets. Is this high enough? If so, what else could possibly be an issue for this thing not to pump water?

scotteam

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water pump

having same issue with 1981 25 hp evinrude e25 rlcim they tell me to take a wire and run it up through the water intake there maybe a clogg.

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice

If possible, try getting the engine deep enough that the water level is above the level of the water pump. My water inlets are below my water pump a few inches and I'm guessing that the water pump doesn't suck water up to it. I'm having the same issue as you are having with my '82 Chrysler 140hp.

As for the wire noted above, I used a wire coat hanger to check for clogs in the brass tube that goes between the water pump and the power head. Though I found none in mine, maybe you'll be more fortunate and clean something out. I also forced water up the tube and got it to come out the top so you might try that also.

There's another post with a few more tips for you to try. I'll see if I can find it and post the link here so you can do a little more testing. I'm eager to hear your results as maybe something you find will be the trick to help mine!

Edit: Check specifically the answers at posts 10 - 13 at Hole in Water Pump Housing.

Last edited:

tjello327

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess the water level was too low after all. i found a deeper tub and got the water level just about up to the water pump. Pumps water ok at idle.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

My 1988 125 Force did the same. I replaced the exhaust plate and gaskets, which were corroded shut, replaced the waterpump, and when I started it, it didn't pump much water at all, and continued to overheat.

Fastfoward to last weekend, I took her out to check, and when I launched her, at the boat ramp, she spewed out water, and overheated just once when pushed VERY hard. Took it back, and flushed the engine with fresh water, and it seems to be happy again.

I don't know if I had some sand/silt left over from the exhaust plate, or if it just needs a lot of water to pump, but, its as good as gold now.

One thing, when you replaced the impellor, did you replace the small drive pin that locks the impellor to the shaft? I can't remember what its called, but its tiny.

Best of luck.

Cheers