gale buchaneer help needed please with model and engine numbers.

trymybest

Recruit
hi all,i have been given a very old gale buchaneer, guessing approx 58 year and also guessing at 3 hp.
i am confused as i have read various threads on gales history yet, although i can see engine parts similar to 3hp johnyrudes i can not get any hit back on the transom model and serial no's?
the only hit i have had come back is the part no on the carb and that was a 3hp johnson.
most parts appear same as the rude?
if anyone can help me with this the details are as follows:
transom id plate:
model no 3B11S
serial no B66554
engine serial no 277173 with a no 2 below,presumably indicating a twin cylinder?
on the lower housing where it meets the steering is stamped AE.
the only other no is the carburettor no 302985.
i have begun servicing where possible as it had been left to wait for something to happen for the 27 years by the donor and according to him,a further 5-8 years by an other donor.
it has been completely stripped,degummed/varnish removed and i have put on hold the carb seal,float kit,plugs,coils etc which i believe are same as the johnyrudes up to about 1967.
the dial settings for the low and high speeds were lost as you can imagine,perished and varnished by age old fuel,have seen a few various discriptions on resetting from scratch.
i would love to know how old this motor is,wether the transom is correct for the engine or vise sera as i suspect,that engine may not be a gale,johny or rude or a mixture of all sorts.
thank you for reading this but from your posts,you guys are my best hopes with this.
regards,pete

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: gale buchaneer help needed please with model and engine numbers.

1953-1955 3 hp Gale motor made in Belgium

trymybest

Recruit

thank you very much for this and please accept my appologies for late reply as i had unexpected family visit us to fuss our recent addition to our family.
this little outboard is a great little project and a good relaxation too.
i wish i had some marine experience to share with you guys,but i am new to this.
thanks again,all the best.pete

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 3hp Buccaneer motors made for the European market were totally different motors than the ones sold in USA. As you mentioned, the European ones are twin cylinder, and the USA ones are singles. I wish I had one of your twins.