New Texas Boating Laws

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Some new TX law to keep in mind:
A measure passed this spring requires those under age 13 to wear a life jacket, even on canoes, kayaks and other paddle watercraft less than 26 feet long. The bill took effect immediately after it was signed in June. Previously, state law didn?t specify that assorted watercraft, besides motorboats, were covered.

Another law that kicked in right away phases in a required boater safety course for everyone operating motorboats and personal watercraft (greater that 15 hp). The law requires the course for everyone born after Sept. 1, 1993. Under the previous law, only those ages 13-15 who wanted to operate a boat without adult supervision had to enroll in the course.

Another bill bans boats from circling someone swimming, skiing or engaged in a similar activity. Does not apply to a person operating a motorboat in a circular course to retrieve a downed or fallen water-skier or other person engaged in a similar activity.

The text of the bills are found here: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/
Session 82(R)-2011

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: New Texas Boating Laws

The circling is wierd. I guess I do not understand that one.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: New Texas Boating Laws

The circling is wierd. I guess I do not understand that one.
That is the "Britteny Lindt" law. She was killed on Lake Lewisville by an allegedly drunk jack-as-s who ran over her while she was tubing. The old law prohibited circling around fishermen and swimmers, but not explicitly skiers and tubers and wakeboarders.