Another first time boat purchase....

Gxpigna

Recruit
Hey folks, I've read as many posts as I can find here on this topic, and there's great advice on evaluating used ones, which is what I'll buy.

But I'd really like some more basic info - what style and brand do you recommend?

I'll use it in freshwater lakes and rivers, for skiing, tubing, fishing etc. It needs to carry 2 adults and 3 kids, or 4-5 adults.

There's so much out there, I really don't know where to start. Also, this will be my first powerboat, but I've owned sailboats before.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another first time boat purchase....

Seems the only other thing you need to tell us is your budget.

Gxpigna

Recruit

Great point, I'd like to be under $10,000 and 5,000 pounds.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bowriders with inboard/outboard power are about the de-factor standard for what you've listed. They do make "fishy" versions of bowriders that have a bow mount trolling motor, pedestal fishing seats and small amount of fishing gear storage. Some are even outboard powered. If fishing is going to be a major percentage of use there are also fish & ski bass boats that are geared slightly toward water sports with extra row of seating taking up part of the casting deck area and a walk through windshield. These have more the traditional bass boat hull (flatter, less deadrise and freeboard). If watersports like wakeboarding, wake surfing, etc. might be higher usage, then a V-drive wakeboard boat might be better fit. What I have found is boats are all about compromise. No one boat is good at everything. You should be able to find nice used boats in any of those 3 categories within your budget.

KBHumphrey

Seaman

You are exactly where I was at this time last year. I announced to my wife one day that we should become a boating family. My kids are 3, 7, 11. I decided on a bowrider I/O because it's great for all purpose use and there are plenty of used ones for sale, at least in my area. The budget was set at $5000. My decision then became less about brand and more about size and engine.

After that it was a summer of research and how to look for good used boats. We ended up with a 20' Wellcraft in late October. So far we've been out three times in the last month with no problems and the kids are loving it. Good luck on your search.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Good place to start

I think this will give you a good idea of what's available in your price range and close by.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

17-19', dual console, outboard, no carpet, removable cushions if you can. Or center console with bow seating.

You have much more room in that set up than the "popular" i/o bowrider.

Start your search by looking at new boats and boats in marinas and show rooms, to settle on the style. Then start looking for a used one. If you start with the used boats, you end up trying to make the boat fit you; you want to fit the boat.

For example:

http://seahuntboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107&Itemid=134
http://seahuntboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=92

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

17-19', dual console, outboard, no carpet, removable cushions if you can. Or center console with bow seating.You have much more room in that set up than the "popular" i/o bowrider.
Yes! Funny, I've been so used to bowriders, bass boats and wakeboard boats over the years I forget about the DC and CC when reading here even though I have a nice bay boat now!

Gxpigna

Recruit

Thanks for the advice, esp about starting by looking at new first.

If you out there w experience have any other ideas, please keep them coming, specifically type and brand. .

There seems to be a general anti Bayliner tone here, and there are plenty out there maybe because of unhappy owners??? Should I steer clear, or can it be a good deal at the right price.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Brand is generally unimportant when it comes to used boats. It's all about how it was maintained. There's lots of Bayliners out there because they are an affordable entry level boat.