WOT screw?

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
1978 85hp Johnson, sea horse, is the top screw with the black cap the screw that decides where timing goes to WOT? Currently that seems to be the new issue this season. If I adjust this part further fore side 1. Will it adjust timing? 2. Will it increase rpm at WOT im only getting 3600 at WOT now with a speed of 30ish? 15 foot gt 150.. Any help would be nice, thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: WOT screw?

I have never worked on that engine but that does look like the limit screw for the timing BUT you don't want to just turn your timing higher, if you change it there you change ti everywhere and it is tied to the throttle so you could really open a can of worms here.

Search "link and sync" and "Joe Reeves high speed timing", it is a way to set your high speed timing with the engine idleing and works great and the link and sync ensures that the throttle and timing are set correctly, if they are off even alittle the boat will run really bad.

Having said that timing doean't change so if the engine worked last year I really doubt timing is your issue unless you have changed it or messed with the linkage, once it is set it never changes, get all the free stuff first, confirm spark to all cylinders, do a compression test and confirm you have gas to all cylinders.

Normally when an engine suddenly starts running bad it is a carb problem or compression but rarely does timing change by itself.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is the full timing advance screw, has to be set with a high speed timing light at full throttle. Unless you have messed with it or have reason to believe somebody else has, leave it alone!!! Increasing advance will not make it run faster, in fact may even make it slower. Worst case scenario: Too much advance will destroy the pistons and you can kiss the whole thing goodby.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im with FR if you advace to far it will preignite and cause the pistons to break rings crack or just melt down. Dont touch it!

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with FR DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! God I hop eyou haven't.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with FR DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! God I hop eyou haven't.

Lol thanks guys, and no I havent touched it, and ive read the lync n sync stuff, maybe I need to look at it again, from what I recall it didnt have instructions for my style motor, but ill look again... Thanks for the help guys...