Chrysler 55hp

Elfarv

Recruit
Hello , I have a problem with my chrysler 55hp ( 559h8k ) motor, he sparks in one, and i have try to change Ignition Coil and they both work, what can be wrong?

Best regards.
Elfar Mar

fucawi

Banned
Re: Chrysler 55hp

so you swopped the coils and you can get spark using either ....not sure how you mean changed over . did the spark move with the coils or still only one spark on the same cylinder ......so lets start again... could be the contacts for the bad cylinder ...use meter across the coil ..should go 12v 0v 12v 0v as you turn the flywheel .....if it does then contacts good and its either the condenser or the HT lead plug cap rusted away inside ..plug lead easiest to check.

Elfarv

Recruit

i gott spark on cylinder 1, and no spark on cylinder 2, then i swapped the coils hand i received the same , spark on cylinder 1 and no spark on cylinder 2. so the both coils ar fine. Sorry for the confusion.

so you swopped the coils and you can get spark using either ....not sure how you mean changed over . did the spark move with the coils or still only one spark on the same cylinder ......so lets start again... could be the contacts for the bad cylinder ...use meter across the coil ..should go 12v 0v 12v 0v as you turn the flywheel .....if it does then contacts good and its either the condenser or the HT lead plug cap rusted away inside ..plug lead easiest to check.

fucawi

Banned

so check you have voltage across No 2 if nothing then its the contacts..if you have volts and it goes on and off as contacts open then its the condenser ....

fucawi

Banned

Condenser ..modern term Capacitor .... they Accelerate the collapse of the primary magnetic field
or in simple terms when the contacts open the primary current continues to flow in the condenser and charges it up . during this time the contacts are accelerating apart and by the time the condenser is charged to 300v the contacts are too far apart for a spark or arc to jump....hence the primary current is cut off and the magnetic field in the coil collapses giving you a spark at the plug . Without this condenser the contacts would arc and little output from coil HT