transom seal

memaw777

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1978 23'cuddy 350 engine 260hp mercruiser.Do you have to pull the engine to replace the transom seal. also can the anodes that cover the bolts be removed and relaced from the outside without removing the bolts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: transom seal

Do you have to pull the engine to replace the transom seal.
Yes, plus the complete transom shield. <br /><br />But, are you sure that is where water is coming in from (assuming of course you are wanting to replace it due to a leak).<br />If that seal is leaking, it usually means the bolts/nust are loose, which means the transom is rotted and there is nothing to support them.<br />Could also be a shift or ujoint bellows leaking allowing water into the bilge. Along with steering shaft seal and exhaust Y seals.<br /><br />What problem are you having, or are you just wanting to replace the seal?

memaw777

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Don for the info . I can see a slow trikle of water coming to the bilge I hadn't thought about the other possibilties is there any way to tell for sure. Do the anodes screw off from the outside

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is there any way to tell for sure.
If you have a slow trickle, you need to look for where it's coming from, It's a hard place to get to on some boats, and will take mirrors and flashlights but you need to find where the leak is coming from.<br />If all else fails, you may have to pull the drive, pull the engine, put the drive back on and put the boat back in the water to find all the leaks. We just had a boat in the shop that the owner thought the transom shield was leaking also, turned out the transom sheild was fine, the garboard drain plug was leaking, one trim tab cylinder, and a thru hull fitting for the washdown pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Do the anodes screw off from the outside
Yes......<br />Channel Locks, or Vise-Grips will do the job......<br />They are nothing more than Zinc "Nuts" that screw onto the studs.....<br />BTW, these Studs are Shouldered Aluminum Studs that are installed from the outside, tightened with the nuts on the inside,+ the anodes are screwed onto the outside........<br />
If that seal is leaking, it usually means the bolts/nust are loose, which means the transom is rotted and there is nothing to support them.<br />
Ayuh.......<br />That's what I've Always found........<br />They just Don't loosen up by them selfs......