1989 Sea Ray BR 200 4.3 no power when put in gear!

jos33

Recruit
The boat has 4.3L alpha 1 with the thunderbolt ignition system. Took out of storage had it winterized, ran fine last summer, put new plugs,wires,cap, and rotor on. Did not screw with timing or anything else of that nature, fuel had stabilizer in it when winterized. Took out for first time ran like crap, cant get full speed or even WOT out of it when its in gear. But idles just fine and can put it in neutral and rev it up then it will red line. Changed fuel filter, put heat in fuel, ran some Mercury Quick Clean through it double checked wires to plugs and distributor and still runs like crap! Pulled plugs they are wet fouled and the boat is burning gas like no tomorrow, called local boat shop said check timing i did and i messed with it when on water, didnt make one bit of difference either way (retarding/advancing). Ran all old fuel out of tank, put new stuff in didnt make a difference either. Anybody got any suggestions???? All i can think of now is a carb kit?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 Sea Ray BR 200 4.3 no power when put in gear!

All i can think of now is a carb kit?

Ayuh,....That's where I'd have started....

Welcome Aboard...

45Auto

Commander

put new plugs,wires,cap, and rotor on.

Did all this start after you did the tune up? Or did it run fine after the tune up?

If it all started after the tune up, check for the correct parts, firing order, etc. Can't count how many carbs I've seen sacrificed to electrical problems .....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What spark plugs were installed?

jos33

Recruit

Boat came with AC MR43T, put NGK plugs in that cross referenced with the AC plugs. I cant remember the numbers on the NGK plugs tho.

jos33

Recruit

I tuned it up before i even started it up for the first time this year, so it ran fine last year like i said. I not sure if this is a carb issue rpms dont go past 3300-3400 rpm, i should be running at least 4400-4500. The only way i can expalin the problem is like i have 10 ppl in the boat and trying to pull a skier out at the same time.

Mac525

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have the crab style cap "flat top with three on one side and three on the other" try regapping the plugs to .035 you might have gotten bad new cap also these are very well known for bad design volvo makes one with brass pins and is far less prone to the cross fire in the cap issue

jos33

Recruit

The cap is not a "crab" style, im not really that smart with ignition stuff, but could a wrong gap cause the motor to load up with fuel, causing the plugs to wet foul and make the boat devour the gas when i cant even run WOT? I dont know im stumped here, the only thing i can see being wrong now is the carb, i did order a carb kit so im gonna do that when it gets here. The motor runs fine when it idles no misses or backfires, doesnt diesel when i shut it down. The thing that gets me is when you put it in neutral and then give it throttle i can redline it then with no hesitation so wtf?