Mercury or some Japanese Motor

lmusashi

Cadet
I bought what I thought was a 2004 5 horsepower Mercury, serial number 0D992105 with some other number (3F9) on it. Unfortunately, the seller didn't give me information about gas to oil ratio or if the tank is oil injection etc.. When I searched on line I couldn't confirm anything with the serial number. How can I get information about this motor?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury or some Japanese Motor

THat is a Merc Serial Number. If you go to www.mercurymarine.com and register for parts express, you can search the serial number and get your part. You can't buy directly from parts express but they will give you the information you need to locate the nearest authorized dealer.

Just for info, even though you have a Merc serial number, your motor is made by Tohatsu and then Merc dresses them and remarkets them. They are the same motors as the Nissans and are darn good motors.

lmusashi

Cadet

Thank You!! I was finally able to find parts for this motor (I needed a bracket and impeller.
I found the electronic manual at the Tohatsu site. I still did not confirm the year and model of the motor but I am one step closer thanks to you.

Larry

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Talk about an identity crisis, hope the seller sold it at a 96 price.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Steve

"If you go to www.mercurymarine.com and register for parts express"

Sorry to thread-jack, I did that using my Sarasota address and put in my serial number 0P274279, it couldn't find it? I'm looking for a starter motor, either part number or shipped to FL.

Thanks

Dave

lmusashi

Cadet

Well it has a blue swish under the Mercury name on the side of the engine case and white "250" on the front and back. The seller told me it was a 2004, do you really think he lied to me?? ha ha.
I guess the one thing is that it is a good running motor and is identical to the Tohatsu motors. When I plug in the Serial number at mercurymarine.com it show the motor diagrams and lists parts, do you think I would have a problem ordering parts?