Does this mean my VRO is toast?

randyhall

Cadet
1988 XP 200
So, tonight I did a decarb with the Evinrude Tune Up stuff. The odd thing is that it only bogged down the motor when spraying into the port side carbs, but it didn't bog down the motor at all when doing the starboard side. I think I read on here that when your VRO goes out it shuts down one bank of cylinders. Is it the starboard side that it disables? I also noticed a slight oil leak (just moisture really) on the hoses around the VRO. I wiped them off, and they reappeared next time I ran the motor. Does this all add up to my VRO is bad? It is 23 yrs old after all. If it is bad, does that mean the motor has been running lean for some time, which might be what killed the top port side cylinder giving me the low compression? Should I disable/bypass the VRO and just go pre-mixed now?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does this mean my VRO is toast?

VRO Pump has nothing to do with the ignition system. If the motor detects an overheat condition, it will kill spark to three cylinders. You might see if your motor has this feature, called S.L.O.W., as I am not sure about your '88.

iwombat

Captain

What's the compression reading on your cylinders? The VRO mixes fuel going to all the carbs. It does not selective mix to one or the other. If your VRO was bad they'd all be starved for lubrication. As mentioned above, your problems do not point to the VRO at all.

randyhall

Cadet

OK, whew, good to know. My compression is way down in one cylinder - 60, compared to 99 in all the other 5 cylinders. I posted about that here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492106
And it's good to know it has nothing to do with VRO. I think I might still switch to premix based on a friend's recommendation, but glad my problems aren't VRO caused. So how do you reset the overheat thing? Or does it happen automatically when it cools down? Will those 3 cylinders come back up on their own?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You're putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't worry about the VRO until you get the compression back up in that cylinder.

New head gasket first. If that doesn't do it, off to the rebuild shop.

randyhall

Cadet

Good point. I'll start there. Maybe disable the VRO down the road if needed. So, is there a place you all recommend for ordering head gaskets online? Local shops here are over a week out and I may as well just order online myself. I'd like OMC brand.