Anybody know anything about raspberries?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
The garden thread reminded me I wanted to ask somebody about this,

About 5 years ago I planted some mail order raspberries and they have come up and grown nicely. Problem is they flower every year but the the flowers never turn to fruit. At first I figured that they needed to get established then they would fruit. Last year I did have two or three individual flowers that struggled out misshapen berries and at the time thought this would be the year that they started producing. Nope this year same as the rest flowers that tune to nothing.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Anybody know anything about raspberries?

You need a lot of healthy bees for raspberries to be fruitful. Once they begin to fruit, they will need a good watering every second day (if the weather is hot) and fertiliser once or twice a fortnight.
What variety are the canes?

robert graham

Admiral

All I know is Raspberries, Strawberries and Blueberries together makes one mighty fine pie!...scoop of ice cream and it's a bit of Heaven!....That's my 2 cents from the consumer side!...Good Luck with your berries and send me a couple of pints of 'em!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Dunaruna it's been so long since I planted them that I don't even remember. :facepalm:

I know there's bees around. I got swarmed last year while mowing. I'm always watching for them now and see plenty. Plus the neighbor has a pear tree that fruits every year, so I keep thinking bees aren't the problem. Just in case, is there a way I can help pollination?

That they do Robert, however I prefer all of the above heated into a simple sugar syrup and spooned over cheese cake. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are some fruits that require pollenation by a different variety. I wonder if that might be your trouble.

If it is you need a different variety of raspberry nearby.

Good luck. :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like your not getting pollinated, contact your local ag dept at the college or call the people that you bought them from and they should be able to guide you in the right direction, but again, sound like no pollination going on.

puddle jumper

Captain

My wife say,s to try fruit set. Its a pllination problem. You need to do some investigating.Are the bees landing on the flower. Is there an animal spraying or marking it with there sent. Is the dirt have the right ph level. I know in the wild they like to grow in an area that has had a wild fire burn in that spot.You may try putting old fire place ash around some of the plants and see if that helps.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Guys and PJ's wife,

Yep mine look just like the ones pictured in the link roscoe posted so definitely a pollination problem.

With that knowledge I found this (towards the bottom) and may have to try hand pollinating them next spring. I only have half dozen plants so bet wouldn't take but an hour.