Old Merc 1000 Thunderbolt- No Spark, Please help

Pinnow

Recruit
I have a 1969 Merc 1000 with thunderbolt ignition. I have no spark at the plugs or distributer. I have the manual and it tells me to check the switchbox, rectifier and possibly stator. The manual also says you need a special tester in order to diagnose each part. The last thing I want to do is start replacing parts without knowing the problem. Does anyone know how to properly diagnose the motor with a volt meter?

Things you should know

1. The first time I ran into the issue I was driving the boat back to the landing and while driving half speed the motor just quit running. At home with ear muffs on it I tried to start and it would not ignite. I went throught the spark plugs, wires and distributer and didn't notice anything that would bring attention.

2. I took the boat out after I had the problem(I have a trolling motor for backup). When I had it in the lake the motor started and ran fine for a bit. When I got back to the landing I put the motor in reverse and it idled really low then quit. I tried starting and it would not start to save my life.

Thanks for looking!!!

Pinnow

Recruit
Re: Old Merc 1000 Thunderbolt- No Spark, Please help

Are there instructions for ignition without points? Thank you very much for your quick response!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Old Merc 1000 Thunderbolt- No Spark, Please help

CDIElectronics website has a link in their Support page to their FREE Ignition Troubleshooting Guide which has detailed instructions for ALL outboard ignition systems.

Download their manual and print out the pages for your early Merc ignition, the tests are quite simple for your model.

Last edited: