3.0L OMC runs rough and blows ignition fuse @ high rpm

sailsmancanuck

Recruit
I have a 3.0l omc on a Chris Craft 185. The boat ran great for about 25hrs. After boating for a couple hours one day, it wouldn't go WOT. Runs fine at idle to 2500rpm, but surges and shutters at higher rpm. Can't get on plane at those rpm. Then it dies, and pops the ignition fuse (20amp) in the process. Took it in to mechanic, he figured it was water in the fuel. Reccomended a fuel water separator be installed. Turns out there is one and no water in fuel. Tells me its the module and thats screwing up the distibutor. Replaced the module, baot ran great for about 10-15hrs of use. Go out yesterday and all the same problems re-appear. Runs fine at low rpm, starts fine, go to WOT and sputters and shutters.....don't know if I can get to beyond 3000rpm as I pull back on the throttle by then. Will also do this in nuetral.The original module was loose, new ones tight. Checked all electrical connectors, spark plug and distributor wires and everything is tight. Pulled off distributor cap and all is dry and clean. I have no mechanical expertise so please keep advise simple. Also, this is my first boat (total rookie). Its the long weekend so any advice would be sicerely appricated as taking the family out on Lake Superior was suppeosed to be our plan.

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention that A: the ignition fuse does not pop every time and B: the engine will not only stumble but also backfires occasionally. I think its abackfire, but its not loud like a car, just a pop.

Also, I can get to 4800 rpm, but will have the samme probs fromm 3000 and up. Not constantly, but like hiccups.

Thanks Again

guftn

Recruit
Re: 3.0L OMC runs rough and blows ignition fuse @ high rpm

Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same problem and cannot find the source.