Buzzzzzzzzzz on a 1988 75hp Merc 3cyl

smitch3806

Cadet
The solid buzz happens as soon as you turn the key on. Im new to this so if any of you guys could give me a list of thing it could be that would help a lot. It has oil so its not that. Please help:eek:

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Buzzzzzzzzzz on a 1988 75hp Merc 3cyl

Continuous buzz is overheat alarm.If it activates when started you have problems with sensor or wiring to sensor.Look for the tan wire and check connections.Good luck.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...it could also be a low oil warning in an autoblend oil unit. Need more info on your setup to diagnose more. Good luck.

smitch3806

Cadet

OK, when we got it running (just bad gas) it came on solid then went off then beeped 3 times the off then on. You get the point. I turn the key on (motor not running) and it comes on sometimes and doesn't sometimes with cold motor and warm motor. Could it be my warning module? When you remove the brown wire it does not sound. I dunna. :confused:

smitch3806

Cadet

also can or would it be safe to run it with out warning module (disconect ground) as long as I dont run it hard and keep close eye on oil. Thats all the warning sounds for right? low oil level and high temp?

j_martin

Admiral

It's the "idiot" light for your engine oiling system. I'd figure out why it's tripping and fix it. There could actually be something wrong with the oiling.

As erratic as yours sounds, The first place I'd be checking is power and ground. A flaky ignition switch can make an oil module totally batty.