8 h.p MERC 1988

Catkiller

Recruit
I have a motor with very low hours just a quick question I took it out for a couple short boat rides 20 mins after changing all oils and what not and I took the motor off the boat and I noticed there was some gray milky color, thick like mayonaise. greese on the inside of the prop 2 spots about the size of my thumb nail? is this a seal problem?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 8 h.p MERC 1988

I have a motor with very low hours just a quick question I took it out for a couple short boat rides 20 mins after changing all oils and what not and I took the motor off the boat and I noticed there was some gray milky color, thick like mayonaise. greese on the inside of the prop 2 spots about the size of my thumb nail? is this a seal problem?

Some believe it is caused by a bad lower crank seal. The thought is water gets sucked in then back out again mixing it with oil/fuel. However, I replaced a lower seal on a 91 8hp and it still did it. I tend to lean towards the type of 2 stroke oil you are using, I was using Penzoil blend at the time. It seemed most of my outboards produce the grey matter with Penzoil. The other theory has some validity so you will have to make a judgment call as far as I am concerned. Personally, if it seems to be running ok, I wouldn't worry too much about it. After a few days, the oil and water will completeley seperate and you will have black matter on the floor.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 8 h.p MERC 1988

Ohh and yes, the LU could also have a leak. Change the LU oil and see if you have any water in it. If not, chances are it's something to do with what i described previously.