Help with impeller please

40horseyamaha

Recruit
i Have a 2000 40hp yamaha outboard with a weak tell tale, im told the impeller needs to be changed . I have the part but have no idea where it goes , im told the lower unit of the motor needs to be dropped however ive taken out the four bottom bolts and it wont come apart (afraid to force it).

a link for a service manual or diagram would be great

anyone with knowledge of this ,thank you

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help with impeller please

Check "youtube" it's where I found instruction for my Suzuki.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

There's probably 5 (or more) bolts holding your foot on, some are hidden... and you'll need to disconnect the shifter linkage as well.

Bob is right about youtube, it helps a lot. Also checkout the Yamaha threads in the motor section of this forum.

This isn't the exact model or hp., but should give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB8lHE-3x04

It'll be an easy job the second time you do it.:)

robert graham

Admiral

Check SIMYAMAHA-Andy's Tips for step by step instructions with photos for water pump impellar replacement, as well as several other repair/maintenance procedures. Very helpful. Good Luck!

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

Don't be so cheap and buy a proper shop manual. If you break something or CAUSE a problem it will cost you a 100 times more to fix it than the cost of the manual.

i Have a 2000 40hp yamaha outboard with a weak tell tale, im told the impeller needs to be changed . I have the part but have no idea where it goes , im told the lower unit of the motor needs to be dropped however ive taken out the four bottom bolts and it wont come apart (afraid to force it).

a link for a service manual or diagram would be great

anyone with knowledge of this ,thank you