HELP please johnson 50es73 no start

psacobie

Cadet
ok here we go . I have a strong spark will jump a 1/2" gap upper cylinder 150 psi and lower reads 140 new fuel pump last fall carb kit last summer as well as tank and hose . I can get it to "start" if I pour fuel into the carbs but it won't stay running . So I don't know if I should take an afternoon to clean the carbs again or look some where else . Oh yeah I also replaced all fuel lines and clamps yes they're tight. Thanks in advance

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: HELP please johnson 50es73 no start

The new pump is pumping a good strong stream? It could be the pickup in the tank, something seems to be keeping the fuel from the carbs. I would pull the line between the pump and the carbs and crank it over to make sure you have a good strong unrestricted flow from there. If you are sure you are getting fuel to the carbs then the next step would seem to have to be pulling the carbs off.

PS remember safety first, be careful with the loose fuel line and pumping fuel around. Pump it into a pop bottle or some other container. Pull and ground the plug wires or crank it with the ignition switch off and a switch on the solenoid to keep it from starting while you are checking the fuel output. Only prime with premix 50:1.

psacobie

Cadet

I knew I forgot something when I was typing . Yup the pump works good shot the bottle off the back of the boat (note to self tie it up next time) and I always use mix . I never understood why people put anything other in two strokes.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the fuel line off between fuel pump and carb/s. spin motor over taking note if it's pumping fuel. Pumps fuel?(YES) Needle and seat closed. will need to overhaul carb/s.(NO) check for bad diaphram and or pule hose broke or plugged. Heres a quick test to try first. While you have fuel line removed, squeeze bulb and see if there is fuel present. Process of elimination. post back results

psacobie

Cadet

I will double check in the morning and get back to you . I'm just sitting here thinking and I don't think I foamed the carbs last fall I think I just drained them .

psacobie

Cadet

I got it . Add this to your check list it was the key . It would push in (cold start) but not all the way a little penetrating oil and she came to life. I'm so glad I didn't take the carbs of again .