Merc. 5.0 Engine Problem...HELP!!

galbrads

Recruit
I have a 1987 21' Wellcraft 210 cuddy with Merc. 5.0L/Alpha One outdrive. Last year toward the end of the season when I would go to WOT the engine would cut out and then pick back up and run just fine. I figure there was some dirt in the carb. so I rebuilt it over the winter. I have taken it out about 3 times this season without a problem. The last time I went out it was running fine until we started heading back I was running at cruising speed when I noticed that the engine would lag and then pick up, lag then pick up. I got worse as I went until it just died. It started right back up but it was all I could do to keep the boat on plane without the engine bogging down. The engine lag would get worse with rougher water. I finally got it back to the dock. I thought maybe it wasn't getting a consistent fuel flow so I replaced the fuel pump. I also replaced the spark plugs because I had them and was meaning to replace them. When I started it back up it cuts out and back fires when I throw the throttle forward. I have not had it back out yet, but since it is not running right I don't want to chance it. It will start every time but will cut out, backfire, and die if you throw the throttle forward. Any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc. 5.0 Engine Problem...HELP!!

have you replaced the fuel filter(s)??

check the fuel system?? - pick-up for blockage, anti-siphon valve, tank vent, etc...

galbrads

Recruit

I replaced the fuel and water separator and the filter going into the carb. I will check the rest tomorrow. Where is the anti-siphon valve?

Fedds

Seaman Apprentice

My 5.0L is the MPI (fuel injected) 2002. When it lacked power it was water in the distributor cap and all kinds of corrosion. I would have a peek in there and if it's corroded, make sure the two screen vents in the base of the distibutor are clean and clear. You might have a different ignition package than me though and not have the screen or this issue.