Looking for a used boat, What do I need to watch out for?

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in search of a used open-bow runabout, probably in the 18-20 foot range. I am thinking i would like to have the 4.3 merc with the alpha one, so far I have seen like a 95 searay 180 that looks nice. Questions are:
1.) what things should I be aware of when shopping for a used boat?
2.) anything you guys would reccomend I try to find? Price range is under $6500.

Thanks!

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for a used boat, What do I need to watch out for?

ugh, well, here's my recent experience:

1. used boat prices are higher than Nada (look it up, its the blue book of boats). this is because poor economy caused new boat sales to slump. (for real!)
2. I can't recommend anything other than keep a sharp educated eye out, and read here often. With your budget, I would guess you are in the 1990s not 2000 or newer boats unless you get a cheap one or a steal. If you lower your engine to a v6 or something under, what, 4.5 Liters guys? you will do fine.

Of course I'm assuming you want to wakeboard, tube, ski, family boat. What is your intent? $6,500 bucks will buy a hell of a fishing boat.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah some fishing too.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do your homework when looking for engines.

Take the boat out for a test run with a few people onboard. This will tell you the engines' performance while under load.

Check the battery, is it holding charge? What about all the other electronics onboard? Are they operational?

Get the history of the engine. The hull and aesthetics of the boat aren't as important as being able to get back to the dock every time out.

Check out the trailer, is it solid? Are the wheel bearings still in tact? Is the winch on the trailer functional?

southkogs

Staff member

A crumby suggestion but here it is anyway ...

Prices will take a dip toward the end of the boating season. If you're not finding what you want right now - watch in September. That's a drag because now is the time you wanna' be out playing, but it is a consideration. I actually bought mine on the 4th of July (and got a great deal), so it's not a hard and fast rule. But I had been watching a few different places for close to a year and a half.

Hope you find "it" soon!