Volvo-Penta intermediate shaft bearing replacement

IMP

Seaman Apprentice
I have a V-P 5.7 350. T280 OD. It has an intermediate shaft which has bearings on both sides of the hull in the housing. We have moved motor and have removed old ground up bearings and have new parts. The UV joints are shot as well was the bellows but have been replaced. These bearings, can they be tapped into place? It appears that the whole transom assembly would need to be removed to get this piece to even think about a press. How is the replacement of these bearing normally done?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo-Penta intermediate shaft bearing replacement

Remove the 6 bolts (item 41 in drawing, lower right). Those are the bolts that hold the bellhousing in the transom shield.<br /><br />
6bolts.jpg

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I will try again. It must be corroaded in. I have the bolts removed but it still seems quite stiff in its place. I didn't want to force it out and break something. In opinion, could these bearings be changed in place or should this be done with the bell housing removed?

Don S

If it's stuck in there, use the threaded holes in the ring (#39) and use 3 of the bolts you removed in the threaded holes and evenly tighten the 3 bolts. It will pull the ring off, then just push the bellhousing to break the seal with the big rubber ring (#40).

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have moved motor and have removed old ground up bearings ...
Have you seperated the engine from the bellhousing somehow ?!?! :eek: If so, you can change the intermediate bearings with the bellhousing in place. You have to remove the snap rings that hold the bearings in place on each side of the shaft. Then you can drive the shaft and one bearing out using a mallet and wooden dowel. Then drive the other bearing out from the opposite side using the same method.<br />The more common, and easier :D :D , method is to remove the engine and bellhousing intact. This is accomplished by removing the top of the outdrive with the u-joints attached, sliding the steering helmet forward, and removing the bellows. The bellhousing is then unbolted from the transom shield by removing the six bolts around the clamp ring. Unhook the throttle linkage, wiring to the starter and alternator etc, and the hose to the seawater pump. The two engine mounts are unbolted, and the engine, with bellhousing attached, is lifted out of the boat. Once clear of the boat, seperate the bellhousing from the engine and remove the snap rings and bearing/shaft assembly. Reassembly is basically the reversal of above.<br />I would suggest that you invest in a Clymer's or Seloc manual for your particular engine/outdrive. Both manuals have excellent instructions for removing the engine. I just did this very same procedure on my boat (1987 Volvo AQ-275 outdrive coupled to a GM 5.7 liter engine), and it really wasn't that difficult because I followed the instructions carefully.<br />Good luck, and let us know how you make out. :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

Same as ahein but mine had to be pressed in and out. There is no way to do it with the bellhousing still on the motor

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> Same as ahein but mine had to be pressed in and out. There is no way to do it with the bellhousing still on the motor
Same with mine.<br /><br />Aldo

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just to be clear, you must seperate the bellhousing from the engine to replace the intermediate shaft bearings. It's just a lot easier to pull the entire engine/bellhousing assembly out of the boat first rather than try to seperate the housing from the engine while it's in the boat. From Imp's original posting, it sounded like he already had the engine out (or moved) but left the bellhousing in the boat. The only way to do this is to remove all of the bolts around the perimeter of the bellhousing. Not an easy task (impossible on my boat).<br />Either way, Imp should remove the bellhousing from the boat and press the bearings out. Don't forget those snap rings!

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

Finally. I had to wait untill I could recondition UV joints and replacement bellows to come in. I have done UVs and bellows is in. I am going to be replacing bearings for the intermediate shaft this long weekend and will hopefully be ready to test. I have removed the motor. I originally tried t oremove motor wile still conected to flywheel cover/ shaft housing but it would not budge and I did not want to break anything by forcing it off with the hoist so I unbolted the flywheel and now the motor is set aside. The flywheel cover/ shaft housing really does not want to be remaoved. All retaining bolts from the circular clapm have been removed and nothing else seems to be holding it. Will it be possible to 1) replace bearings with flywheel housing still attached to boat maybe using a 3 jaw puller? and2) If so, will I be able to mate the motor back to the cover while the cover is still attached? It seems like it would be more difficult but would it really be more so than say replacing a motor in a small car with the xmission still in the car? Wish me luck and any last minute advise would be appreciated. I also plan to correct wiring problems prior to ocean test, which I described in another post.

Don S

Why don't you just remove the bellhousing from the transom shield like I explained earlier. It sure makes it easier to put back together.

Don S

Absolutly corrosion will hold it in there. Use the 3 threaded holes and tighten the bolts evenly, it will come apart.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I have tried w/o success as of yet. I have the six bolts removed but it still feels bolted in. Could it just be corrosion holding it in. This is an nice, but old boat. I will certainly try and remove the BH from the TS as it really makes sense that it would be MUCH easier to reinstall the motor with that alreay attached. If your sure, and I've no reason to doubt, I will go after removing it again from the transom shield. Thanks for all of your advise all.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hell, grab on to it with that engine puller and give a couple cranks up or push it back and forth with your foot. If you have the bolts out it is just the rubber rings holding it in place in the transom shield. When you put it back together. Clean it up real well and use a good size bead of RTV where the rubber rings meet the transom shield and bellhousing.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> silly cone is not reccomended for that seal. we use a new ring and marine grease. its below the water line and the silicone has a tendancy to not stick well to the rubber or the painted surfaces. most silicone sealants,somewhere in the tiny print, say not suitable or suitable for use below the water line.<br /> good luck and when retorqueing the ring go slow and retorque several times as the rubber compresses.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

All right then. I had success in getting the bearings replaced. It was very ugly as I guess the previous owner of the boat was not maintenence guy. It really looks good in there now. Both bearings and all seals replaced, bellows replaced, UV joints rebuilt. I got rained out so all I have left is to replace the upper gear case, fill w/ oil. I did replace several coroded connectors on wires going to the starter and two other connections that looked suspect. Once I replace the upper, I will attempt to hook to hose and start it up. If all goes well I will be testing this upcoming weekend, I will also test out my fishing poles to make sure they are working (haha.)