'90 Johnson 40 hp also locked down

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my third attempt to post with no expert advise yet so I'll try to reformat as I've worked on it a little more. I've recently acquired a boat with a '90 Johnson 40 hp (J40ELESR). The motor doesn't have electric tilt. The motor is stuck in the down position & I suspect the problem is the tilt assist release. I removed the lower cross bolt which diconnects the tilt assist cyclinder and can tilt the motor up.

The starboard tilt lever doesn't seem to move the release cable very far, only about 1/4". Is this the possible problem? The You Tube attachment shows the degree of movement.

As shown in photos, the cable shows some fraying of the outer rubber casing. Possible problem?

I feel that I need to remove the cable and see how far the center wire is traveling against the tilt cyclinder. Do I remove the top, outer nut to remove the cable from cyclinder? Also, what is the trick to remove the cable where it is attached to the motor (first photo) at the other end? I'm not sure what part to pry to get the black plastic "holder" off the motor.

40 HP Johnson.JPG tilt cable 40 hp.JPGIMG_0959.JPGIMG_0963.JPG

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don

Last edited:

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '90 Johnson 40 hp plastic "tilt release" - how do you adjust?

Bump - I've edited and added a video

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to go to Shop.Evinrude.com and look up parts and prices before doing anything.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '90 Johnson 40 hp also locked down

I'll bump this up as I've modified my post and added more photos. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy 4th of July!!!

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would without a doubt replace that cable as it's pretty shot. Then give it a shot and see what happens.

emoney

Commander

I've never had a "tilt assist" unit, so I'm no help, but I'll post to keep your thread towards the top. Someone will see it and come along with answers. Just curious, is there not a basic "bolt attachment" for that cable to the motor bracket itself? It would seem that there would need to be an attachment point for the engine? I ask this becuase getting it de-attached would help you narrow down the actually point of failure. If disconnected the motor raises, then you know it's a cable or pivot point problem. From the video, it looks as if the cable itself is moving freely enough? Good luck.

Rick.

Captain

I've got a 95 - 40HP with tilt assist. Has never worked since I got the motor. One day I was at the marine shop and asked the mechanic about it. He said over time the gas leaks out of the cylinder which will still operate but you have no 'assist'. This is where I'm at. He also said that sooner or later the whole unit will seize and you will not be able to lift the leg. This is where your at. Sorry I can't tell you more but that is as much as I know about it. He recommended I look into an after market power tilt & trim. I looked into it and they cost about 5 to 6 hundred so I'm leaving mine be for now. It is very difficult on the water to lift the leg and hold it up while reaching down to flip the lock lever but I'm getting better at it. Best of luck. Rick.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How do you raise up your motor if the assist cyclinder is locked?

Rick.

Captain

"He said over time the gas leaks out of the cylinder which will still operate but you have no 'assist'. This is where I'm at." My leg still moves freely up and down but I have no assist. Sooner or later it sounds like mine will become locked as well. My lock lever still operates well enough. In dive it stays where ever I set it but I can't give much throttle in reverse without the leg lifting. My understanding is the parts for this are very expensive and likely to fail. Rick.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I'll see if I can remove the cyclinder and take it to an OMC shop. Still not too sure how to remove the plastic coupler at the opposite end. Any advise from the brain trust?

Rick.

Captain

Now you've got me thinking perhaps mine is removed already. That would explain why my leg wants to lift in reverse. I'm going to go and have a look this morning. As far as I can see all you need to do is pry the end of the piston rod off the nipple. It looks identical, to me, to the throttle and shift linkage and that's how they come off. Be careful as the piston, if charged, would want to extend once it's pried off. I thought you would of heard from someone who has done the job. The fellow I spoke to about the assist said they all fail, sooner in cold climates. Rick.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was successful in getting the assist cyclinder off. The plastic piece just pops out when you pull it out from the side. I removed the cable from the cyclinder and it operates fairly freely, about 1 - 1 1/4" of extension so I doubt is was the cable. Looks like it is the assist cyclinder. I don't live near an OMC dealership but am headling to the beach in a week. I may take the cyclinder with me for an expert evaluation.

Rick.

Captain

Well I had a look at mine today and I see all my parts are in place. So it must be the large piston that is seized on yours? Once you got that cable off where you able to lift your leg? Let me know how this all works out for you. I'd sure like to get mine fixed but as I said the fellow I spoke to didn't give me any hope. I'm pretty strong but I have a heck of a time lifting my leg when I'm in the boat on the water. Rick.

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OMC changed the 40hp and similar twin cylinder motors in 1987 or so, the newer style motors use a gas assisted tilt piston and no springs. These were known for failing, both cables and cylinders tend to have issues with age. The parts are very expensive and rarely worth the cost on an older motor. I priced a new cylinder and pin for a 1989 motor I had here a while back and the parts new were over $1500. The former owner had removed the seized cylinder and cut the pin to get it out.
I've seen used units on eBay go over $500 for just the assist cylinder.
The problem is that on these motors, the bottom stop is the cylinder itself, with the cylinder removed the motor free swings on the bracket and will most likely rest against the transom. There is no means to lock the motor in the down position making the motor want to rise up in reverse.
A buddy has been running a 1990 50hp like this for years though, he cut a block of wood as a downward stop and has a bungee cord around the motor to allow it to somewhat back up.
The problem with the block of wood trick is that the mid section housing will now ride against a flat surface which makes steering difficult.
I generally avoid the 1987 to 1992 era OMC twins for this reason.
Being in a saltwater area, its rare to find a good used motor that doesn't have tilt issues in those years.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

my 1990 40 still has a working tilt system...sounds like a rarity..but the motor is pretty much new and the cylinder isn't assisting as much as it used to.
My plan for the inevitable is to lock it down and go with an aftermarket tilt n trim bracket. way cheaper than the parts to fix.

Rick.

Captain

Howard Sterndrive: Tell us what it's like to lift from inside your boat when on the water. I'm already jealous. What kind of climate has your boat lived in. It gets to - 40F. here occasionally and I would think that has a factor in seal leaks. I even start to leak at that temperature! Rick.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a 1990 50 hp and my setup is just like yours.

Pop the plastic end of the lever and try to adjust it by turning it on the threads. Go one half of a turn at a time, pop it back on and see if it works. Half a turn can make a HUGE difference.

My problem is that the plastic piece pops off the metal ball on the lever every now and then. I wish it was a metal piece.

snel1984

Cadet

I have the same problem with the tilt assist on my 1990 48 HP Johnson, or should I say the lack there of. I bought the boat and the tilt worked to lock it in place but there was never any lift assist. I had to literally put my feet on the transom and lean back to get it out of the water. The other night it seized up all together. I just ordered a new cable and its suppose to be in today. If this new cable works I'll let you know. Other wise it looks like 500-600 for a power tilt unit. The piston is the same price of a new power tilt unit so i figured id go that way first. The problem on my tilt assist looked like the piece of plastic that went over the lever broke and it was not pulling the piston. Does any one know if you can recharge these pistons?

gdwales

Recruit

Where did you get cable and what was the cost, little plastic connector has broken onmy 1992 50HP Evinrude and cannot locate one anywhere in UK.
I have the same problem with the tilt assist on my 1990 48 HP Johnson, or should I say the lack there of. I bought the boat and the tilt worked to lock it in place but there was never any lift assist. I had to literally put my feet on the transom and lean back to get it out of the water. The other night it seized up all together. I just ordered a new cable and its suppose to be in today. If this new cable works I'll let you know. Other wise it looks like 500-600 for a power tilt unit. The piston is the same price of a new power tilt unit so i figured id go that way first. The problem on my tilt assist looked like the piece of plastic that went over the lever broke and it was not pulling the piston. Does any one know if you can recharge these pistons?

CocoaBear

Cadet

Folks
I've also got a 1990, 40 HP with a locked tilt assist cylinder and a broken part at the control lever on the cable. I posted this information on another thread last night that may not been as appropriate as this one. The other site as about a 48spl that may have had t-n-t.

Mine is locked down as I said but it's on a pontoon, which doesn't make it as bad a situation, however I need to change the water pump and I can remove the lower lock nuts and pin, but will that release the motor to tilt so that I don't have to raise the boat and trailer to get clearance?

Also is it possible to remove the upper mount once the engine is tilted up? I'd prefer to clear it all out and maybe replace it with power parts. They don't seem to be a lot more expensive.
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.