Need a finger lake that won't be to crowded?

hostage

Lieutenant
I am going out on my boat this weekend and I want to go to a lake that won't be too crowded. Any suggestions, we live in Rochester.

Thanks,

Hostage

superbenk

Commander
Re: Need a finger lake that won't be to crowded?

Our vacation on Canandaigua lake starts this weekend :). I grew up on that lake. Keuka is nice too and may be a bit quieter.

Man, I love that area! Want to find my a job up there so I can move back? ;)

CPTom21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry the only one I know is Skaneatles. My advice then would be to STAY AWAY!! Very busy.

hostage

Lieutenant

Went to Keuka and it was awesome, used a private launch East Bluff Harbor, cost more but avoided the rush of the public launches.

superbenk

Commander

Nice! We're actually considering trying Keuka next year. I like Canandaigua a lot, though.

hostage

Lieutenant

Nice! We're actually considering trying Keuka next year. I like Canandaigua a lot, though.

Canadaigua is nice and closer. Though Keuka has less chop and is less crowded imho.

Xandre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going out on my boat this weekend and I want to go to a lake that won't be too crowded. Any suggestions, we live in Rochester.

Thanks,

Hostage

So this is a little late but in the future I recommend Seneca lake. I was down on the southern half of the lake over the 4th of July weekend and hardly saw any boats. I mean maybe 15 boats all day on Sunday the 3rd....on a Holiday weekend.

My buddy who lives down there said the closest launch is 20 miles from his house and that many people assume Seneca is cold since it is so deep. So at least the southern half is relatively uncrowded.

Love Seneca lake... water was warm for wakeboarding and the water clarity is generally pretty good. I have jumped in with my SCUBA gear down there in the past.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not yet tried Keuka. That private launch tip is golden - thanks. On Canandaigua we used to launch at German Brothers Marina. Same idea - pay a bit more but avoid some of the crowd.

What about Cayuga? They seem to have a State park on the north end.

So far our local boating has been 2 trips to Conesus. I had a work schedule that had me out by 3pm and at the launch by 4:30 - seemed to have beat the rush. One boat wait for both launch and retrieval.

jh

mr 88

Commander

There is a Antique and Classic Fiberglass boat show this Saturday 7/16 with about 100 boats expected on and off water.The meet is in Hammondsport,Lake Keuka, at the south end,I think it is a State park where it is held. Boats will be there Friday thru Sunday....check it out if you would like to see some of the coolest boats ever made.

superbenk

Commander

There is a Antique and Classic Fiberglass boat show this Saturday 7/16 with about 100 boats expected on and off water.The meet is in Hammondsport,Lake Keuka, at the south end,I think it is a State park where it is held. Boats will be there Friday thru Sunday....check it out if you would like to see some of the coolest boats ever made.

Bah!! I'm sorry we missed that by only 1 week!!

Xandre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very cool. Thanks for posting I might have to check this out! I have Classic Fiberglass myself =)

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to live in Hammondsport. Keuka rocks. Excellent smelting on the south end. Fair to nice lake trout. But do try Seneca. It's worth the ride. Seneca offers many great waterfalls just a short walk inland from the lake. Folks just walk right up the streams to the falls. Many great Bike trails also. A lot of folks don't think about biking and boating. Something I learned from many visits to the winery's at Put In Bay, OH. Toss the bikes in the boat and go for it.