What model is this?

Jeepersheart

Cadet
Hey everyone new around here and to boating in general. I'm going to look at a boat and I was hoping I could get a little more info on what I'm lookin at. The boat is described as a 1964 14' Starcraft deep V fiberglass boat. I tried looking at the brochure but my phone isnt showing it very clearly. Hoping you guys could give me an idea of things to look for or watch out for. He says the boat has been sitting for at least three years. Here are a few pics. Also what would be a fair price for this gem? Thanx for your help I'll be sure to let you all know if I end up buying it.

242f0922.jpg

c9e2b81c.jpg

162d44d8.jpg

9f4e216e.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: What model is this?

Welcome to iboats jeeper!

You'll have a tough time finding an ID on that rig with the guys around here, sorry. Most everybody are into aluminum boats as the glassers are almost always a "can of worms" just waiting to be opened up.

For a 14' fishing rig, you just can't beat aluminum. Starcraft or otherwise.

Happy Hunting!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh wow, where to start????

Basically, rotten stringers and transom.

Rebuilding those two items is a major undertaking and quite expensive. By comparison, that same rig in the aluminum version could be gutted, new deck and transom sealed up and installed in a long weekend. And, completed for the cost of a couple of sheets of ext plywood and some porch/floor paint.

14' fishin boat? Gotta go alum;)

Jeepersheart

Cadet

Thanx for the input, I wanted to go aluminum anyway and this guy is a bit outta my price range. Maybe I will take a look anyway and if he bites on a lowball offer, if not no sweat just keep lookin.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd pass. In addition to the fiberglass issues, that is an ancient Mercury motor. While it is definitely super-cool, parts for that are probably going to be tough to find.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I am kinda thinking free would almost be too much. Best you could do would be sell the motor and trailer for a couple of hundred after you throw the boat away.:eek:

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the glasser is in good shape and does not need anything then it would be ok, but I really doubt that is the case. Aluminum boat to get in the water
  • remove OB
  • pull seats
  • remove deck
  • remove transom wood
  • cut out new deck and transom
  • seal up new deck and transom
  • install deck and transom
  • install seats and whatever else you took out
  • reinstall OB
  • go fishing
  • No special skills needed to work on the boat
Glass Boat for same.
  • remove OB
  • remove seats
  • cut out floor
  • cut out transom
  • grind out the old stringers
  • need to reinstall new stringers and glass them all in
  • glass in new transom
  • glass in new floor
  • paint or cover floor
  • reinstall seat and stuff
  • reinstall OB
  • Need special tools, equipment and safety items for work on fiberglass. Need to do lots of research if you have not done fiberglass before.
The aluminum boats are very easy to work on with not special tools to buy. You can do an expensive or cheap build on them as well.

The glass boats you need to know how to fiberglass or at least do a ton of research before hand. Need specific tools and safety items to work on them and also the cost is a lot more. But it can be done all the same but as Jason said, there are more tin guys in here that is for sure.

Good luck in your chase bud.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok Jason and Ez posted while I was busy typing, man I am getting slow now. I agree with them and would pass on it.