wiring a 24V trolling motor on a ranger boat.

Ranger86

Recruit
How do I connect the 4 wires (red, black, orange, & white) on the batteries (2 twelve volt deep cycles) to hook up a 24V trolling motor on a 1986 Ranger 375V?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: wiring a 24V trolling motor on a ranger boat.

Not again!!!!!!!! Sorry -- it's late and I'm tired. Here is a 24 volt trolling motor setup. PLEASE tell me you do not have a panel at the front of the boat with a 12/24/RUN/CHARGE switch. If you do you'll have to wait for a response. If you don't, and all there is is a receptacle then here ya go. Note that you only need two of the four wires going up front. So figure out which PAIR you want to use (red & black or orange and white). I suggest you use red and black. DO NOT remove or cut the orange and white. Just tape them up at the battery end. Now then - PAY ATTENTION to the plus and minus signs on the battery. Connect the red wire to the POS terminal on the battery on the right. Connect the black wire to the NEG terminal on the battery on the left. Make a jumper (same size wire as the others) and connect it from the POS terminal on the battery on the left and to the NEG terminal of the battery on the right. DONE. Now go up front and check the receptacle. Whichever terminals in the receptacle have the red and black wires on them are the two terminals on the trolling motor plug that must match up with. Go fishing. Again. PAY ATTENTION to polarity.

24VTrollerWiring.jpg

Granddaddy

Recruit
Re: wiring a 24V trolling motor on a ranger boat.

How do I connect the 4 wires (red, black, orange, & white) on the batteries (2 twelve volt deep cycles) to hook up a 24V trolling motor on a 1986 Ranger 375V?

Silvertip is right for 24v hook up without a panel up but not for your Ranger. I have owned a Ranger since the 80's. Here's how you hook up your leads.

Red to battery #1 positive.
Black to battery #1 negative.
Orange to battery #2 positive.
White to battery #2 negative.

Circuit breakers located in red and orange wires. Push to reset.

Hooking up bow panel leads in any other manner could result in severe damage to both batteries and panel.