Got a frebbie 6 hp evinrude

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class
this looked to be the same 6hp that i have on my 14 lund.Told a friend about my new to me fishing rig and so happened he had the same engine hooked to his fence in his back yard- he gave it to me for a parts engine.All the parts looked like mine, the biggest problem is its locked up tighter than dicks hat band.Tryed penetraing oil in cylinders but so far it want move abit.Any advice would be very helpful.Thanks:)-
DSCF1451.jpg
-
DSCF1454.jpg
-
DSCF1456.jpg
-
DSCF1457.jpg
-
DSCF1452.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Got a frebbie 6 hp evinrude

Try taking the lower unit off to see if the problem is there. Looks like it sat in the water for awhile.
If not the lower end, set the motor cylinder side up and take the plugs out and soak the cylinders in penetrant. Gently rock the flywheel back and forth occasionally and do this for a few days. You Don't want to force it and break something.
My favorite is a 50-50 mix of Acetone and ATF, but PB Blaster and Kroil are good too.

BonairII

Commander

"freebie" motors are a crapshoot IMO. Nothing wrong with trying to free up the cylinders and cleaning up other parts of the motor to see if you can get it running. I wouldn't spend a dime on parts unless you can get decent compression in the cylinders, though.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What model is that? Looks like a 6604A ?

StarTekh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this motor was under water over 30 days..correct

AlTn

Commander

looks like a worthy parts motor...certainly a great educational opportunity as it looks to me like you're going to find a rusted crank and bearings, not to mention rings, if you remove the power head and dissasemble it...many good < an expensive > parts though may be salvageable...imho it would not be cost effective to try to make a runner out of it

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

this motor was under water over 30 days..correct
Not completely under water I hope. If the whole motor was submerged, like it was dropped off of the boat into the lake, and not taken care of immediately then it is trashed.

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:)I sure do thank ya'll for the imput, it has given me some more inf on this motor.TX1961whaler thats a good idea about taking the foot off, I replaced the water pump impeller on my good 6 hp engine so i know how to get started at least.pics will follow, thanks. BonairII your right about spending a dime, strickly a parts engine, but i would like to free it up " education and all ". Monte1961 - good catch- it is a 6604A, how could you tell just from the pics, i swear it looks just like my good engine and it a 6402-C . Star tekh, the foot of engine was on a boat and in lake for years and years, but the rest of the engine doesnt show any signs of being under water. Its very dusty and dirty up top,spider webs and all. AITN, when i was about 13yrs old i started taking old junk cars apart and actully learned how to repair them that way, kind of home schooled back in the 60's. I believe i'll learn a lot about this engine in the same way, i just look at it a fun, being retired and all. pics will follow - thanks everyone for the knowledge !!! :)

BonairII

Commander

If you aren't saving the parts for yourself...take it apart and list the parts on craigslist/ebay and make some coin to buy yourself a running motor. :D

AlTn

Commander

pics work well....countless times it helps just to see linkages and positions for those looking for info w/o a manual

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:eek:Just got the flywheel off- them there things are tight- used a puller and wd-40 and never hit it with a hammer, had to let it sit over night - took a long wrench and when it poped lose it caught me by surprise. My question this time is those little bitty cracks in the ignition coils mean that they are bad or is that normale?-
DSCF1480.jpg
-
DSCF1479.jpg
-
DSCF1481.jpg

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:)BonairII, i believe i'll hang on to all the parts for now, you know how it is, if you toss it out or sell something, it seems you need that something the next day or some where in the near future.I've got a great running engine just like it, except it looks and runs like a new one even thow it is a 1974 model.-
DSCF1146.jpg
-this is it on my first test run,been out fishing 6 times since i got the rig and cleaned it up- it has ran great every time - not real fast but i 'm not in a hurry anymore.-
DSCF1015.jpg

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:)AITn, you are right on there as far as the pics being very helpful. With these didital photo and all, i try to doc just about all of my projects. I think it will be fun to look at them years from now and help me remember how i did some things. I think i like to have one of those new type movie cameras. Maybe one day :)

AlTn

Commander

feel the same way, coin...those cracked coils are condemable, the underside may be worse

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the same kicker on my unit.(6604A) and It is a sweet running motor. 2.5 max pulls and it's starts every time. The cracks in the coils are a typical sign that there getting ready to give out or gone. Just to give you some back ground on this little engine and how sweet it is! A friend South of me calls up and says, I have a this 6hp motor and it's a piece of sh*t! He tells me that it will run ok in tank, but at the lake only for 20 minutes and craps out. He also says it smokes to much and if i wanted it the next time he came up to Oregon, he would bring it to me. This was 5 years ago. I receive this Rude and can,t wait for him to leave so I can get to work!....lol. I checked compression and it's beautiful on both cylinders, maybe 2lbs difference. I run to the local marine dealer and get complete tuneup kit and carb kit. So tuneup and a fresh carb overhaul and the jewel runs like almost new. Well this season as usual he comes up and we go to my favorite lake in the world, It's in the top ten in the world for trout fisheries, I first start the big motor and then kicker. We run out to start trolling, lines are out and were fishing. I am not fishing unless I'm burning gas!lol. I kill the big motor and on the troll. After 20 minutes he says, When did you overhaul the motor? I said I didn't! He asked if it was a different one? I said no. He said it has to be a different motor because the one I gave you smoked heavily and ran like sh*t!. I said I hate to break this to you, but after a good tuneup and carb overhaul, this is what we ended up with. He asked, But it doesn't even smoke hardly at all, You had to have rebuilt it!. I asked, what fuel/oil ratio were you running? He said his local marine dealer said 24:1. I about fell out of the boat!!!!!!!. Now hes pissed by this point! He wants to buy it back for $50.00 plus parts I installed. Do you think I took him up on this? If you want to sell me that 6604A for a reasonable price, I would love to have it if it's rebuildable coinman1947?. I would keep it and give the one that I have back to Steve. He would crap his pants!!

coinman1947

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:DMonte1961, I enjoyed the story about the motor,you sound like the type people i like to hang with " common sence " and all. I appreciate the offer but i think i better hold on to this little darlin of a parts motor, It going to teach me alot and the parts might come in handy, sounds to me like your buddy is crying over spilled milk. You made something good out of something he virtuly threw away.He should be gratful he got a good buddy to take him fishing that has a good kicker on his boat. :)