Utility Hull

unclejoe411

Cadet
Can some one explain the differences/advantages of utility hull vs. deep hull or deep V,...in fishing boats.
thanks in advance.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Utility Hull

Your question is just a little vague. Where are you, what kind of water will you be boating on and what do you want to do with a boat?

Can you please be a little more specific?

unclejoe411

Cadet

I am in Minnesota. I have been looking at used boats sales ads, (outboard, fishing boat about 18' to 20'). Some ads say Utility Hull, some say Deep V, etc... I kind of know what a deep V haul is. I am not sure I know what they mean by Utility Hull.

cr2k

Captain

A deep V is a deep V reguardless of where you are boating.

A deep V is well suited for rougher water as it cuts the waves/chop. The deeper the V the more low speed wonder you will have. A utility is a compromise between the chop cutting of a deep V and the lateral stability of a shallow v or a tri hull.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Chances are many (if not all) of the sellers are using the terms interchangeably. Either will be a good choice.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From what I've seen, a utility boat is usually a deck-less, bench seat type of deal:

smoker_craft_14_voyager_aluminum_utility_boat.jpg

whereas one not described as such may have a deck and pedestal seating and/or consoles and storage

Resorter_001.jpg

But, as mentioned, even in my brief search, I did see the terms used interchangeably.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Maybe it's a regional thing; I have never heard of a "utility" hull. I had thoughts of the flat scow worker boats I see around dredges, shipyards, etc.