Throttle cable/linkage question on a 1990 221 liberator

BigCountry17

Recruit
Hi guys, i got a 1990 221 liberator 454ci omc king cobra boat. I took it out on the river the other day and i ended up dead in the water for a period of time. Both batteries were charged fully and underneath the bench seat is where to turn the batteries on. There is a knob with a set-up that shows 1/ alt/ 2.
When i turned knob to 1 or 2 i had power. All tachs and radio works. When i bought boat the guy told me the throttle cable would have to be jiggled foward and back to get the boat to go into neutral, almost like jiggle it back and forth. I am almost positive the issue lies there.

I was thinking maybe there is something that is grabbing the kill switch allowing the boat not to run? Or i may just have to get a whole new throttle cable linkage system.

Any ideas of what it might be or if anyone has had this problem?
Any idea of the cost? I am online trying to google info now and prices with little luck.

Thanks for the help -chad-

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle cable/linkage question on a 1990 221 liberator

Ayuh,... Does the motor turn over, 'n not start,..??
Or just not turn over..??

If the latter,... Check out the neutral safety switch, inside the controller...

BigCountry17

Recruit
Re: Throttle cable/linkage question on a 1990 221 liberator

I would pull the throttle away from beam to get it not in gear and pump throttle back & forth and when it would have power it would turn over no prob. When this incident happened i had power to everything except when i turned key i had no power to motor. No nothing just dead. I kept messing around with the throttle and eventually when i went to turn key it fired up.