power steering pump pressure problem

moochie1

Recruit
I have a 94 mercruiser 4.3. It is blowing the low pressure line before it enters the line cooler. I have blown thru the cooler, if it is clogged it is not much. Any ideas?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power steering pump pressure problem

There should be close to zero pressure there, as it goes straight back to the steering pump sump, thru the cooler. But, if perhaps, the cap on the pump has the vent on it plugged? That may account for the buildup of pressure, but pressure build up would be in the steering pump sump also. After the fluid warms up a bit, open the cap on the pump and see if there is a release of pressure. If there is, get a new pump fill cap. If that's not it, seems like it would be a plugged cooler, as it's the only other thing there.

flyerdon

Recruit
Re: power steering pump pressure problem

I have a 94 mercruiser 4.3. It is blowing the low pressure line before it enters the line cooler. I have blown thru the cooler, if it is clogged it is not much. Any ideas?

Did you every solve the low pressure side power steering hose blowing off at the cooler? reason : I am having the exact same problem.....