2005 tohatsu 70 hp running issues

123dggregory

Recruit
Hi,

My Tohatsu 70 hp is having running issues. It seems to be only running on 2 cylinders sometimes or have a complete lack of power. It will then pick up and then go back to poor running (quite quickly like your are tapping the throttle)

It does occasional work properly for longer periods, then poorly again.

Im thinking it maybe plugs, HT leads (if it has them) or a dirty Carb

Can anyone suggest what is more likely? Im thinking a dirty carb would be more likely to run badly all the time so its probably electrical??

Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2005 tohatsu 70 hp running issues

Could be either, but...The way to determine the problem is by getting out the service manual and eliminating possible problems. Or you can just clean the carbs, correctly, and you have a 90% chance of curing it.

pvanv

Admiral

What is your model? Is this a TLDI? If so, there aren't any carbs... and the onboard diagnostics should tell you what faults are being detected.

fishskiff

Cadet

123dg, my honda bf15 had similar symptoms when the ignition module failed. I ran the engine at home on the hose and while it was idling i tapped everything with a screwdriver handle. when i tapped on the cdi/ignition module the engine died and would not start. This is after new carb plugs etc. that didn't fix it. hope this helps.

pvanv

Admiral

123dg, my honda bf15 had similar symptoms when the ignition module failed. I ran the engine at home on the hose and while it was idling i tapped everything with a screwdriver handle. when i tapped on the cdi/ignition module the engine died and would not start. This is after new carb plugs etc. that didn't fix it. hope this helps.

Nice to know... but you have a completely different motor, from a completely different manufacturer, so odds of the OP's problem being addressed by your information is remote at best.