After months of looking..finally bought an old Starcraft!

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
I finally found a boat worth restoring....its a 1959 Starcraft jet 15 ft.( He says its a '58 but the data plate says "Jet", and in '58 it was called a "Jetstar"..need to do more research I guess) I have a couple of questions off the bat before I start restoring her. I'm gonna put in a new plywood floor and I see this boat has a semi-rounded floor in it. Is it possible to put pedestal seats in a boat with a curved floor?...how do you mount them so they are flat?..also anyone know a place to find old Starcraft windshields?...........I see there are some great starcraft threads on here for restoration!....I'm looking for any tips on restoring...Thanks for all the help

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: After months of looking..finally bought an old Starcraft!

Congrats! I think there was a Jet and Jet Star in the same years. The difference was the seating configuration.

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome. Confirming the seating arrangement is what determines the model. Check the thread with brochures. With a bit of ingenuity you could mount pedestals directly to the curved deck. If your deck is original it is unlikely it is in good enough shape to work with. My original was only 1/4 thick to bend to the ribs and that is what I put back.

There should be seat brackets on the sides that you can use to put in a bench board and then mount the pedestals to them. That is how I would go. Lots of examples here. Where's the pics??????????

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pics to come soon!... I know I'm thinking way ahead on this project, but it helps me if I have an idea in my head of what the finished project will look like. I like idea of mounting the seats on the front bench but it seems they would be to high up with the pedestals?...maybe just 2 folding flat swivel seats on the bench and a pedestal in the rear would work?...this is my first real project boat and am just trying to get some ideas!...I want this primarly a fishing boat with seats for at least 3 people

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

and yes the floor is long gone so I will be starting from scratch with 1/4 inch plywood...I thought about a flat floor but these boats are so shallow I want all the room I can get...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Have you looked at bananaboater's pics in his signature link above? His Jet is certainly one of the best you'll find.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow Bananaboater...that is gorgeous!... Is that a 50 hp?